37 - Reflection

Tyler, or Taylor, oh hell, even he didn't know who he was at the moment, the important fact was that the person most people knew as Tyler Stanford and a select few knew as Taylor Stanford trudged along the dark hallways of Priscilla Girl's Academy, aimless and purposeless.

The night could not have gone worse. In less than a minute he had been exposed, embarrassed, and promptly dumped by the only person who currently mattered to him. Layla was a shining light in his otherwise confusing young life. When he was with her, everything made sense, even if it really didn't.

But at the end of the day, he played a dangerous game with her, and lost her because he toyed with her emotions. She had found a boy she finally liked, and a girl she formed an inseparable bond with, the only problem being that they were the same person. Tyler didn't know which one he wanted to be.

He was tired of it all. He wanted to go home, wherever his dad was, and run away from every single mind-crushing problem he had created in his new life. He tried calling his dad, but he wouldn't pick up. So he went to the only person who could reliably reach him, his mother.

Tyler found her still awake in her office at the top floor of the girl's dormitory. She was typing away at her computer, and looked surprised to see Tyler walk in. He was still dressed as a girl but had wiped away most of his makeup and taken off his wig.

'Tyler, what are you doing back-oh honey, what's wrong?'

She ran over and wrapped her son in her arms. Tyler didn't return the favour.

'I want to go home,' he said quietly beneath his sobs.

'Your are home. You're with your family.'

Tyler shoved her away and looked at her with nothing but disdain in his eyes, which had become blackened by the running mascara. 'I don't want to be around you people anymore! I want to be with dad!'

Keira Stanford was hurt by his words but did her best to hide it. She could tell he was having a rough time. 'Talk to me, Ty. What's happened?'

'Like you actually give a shit! Ever since I've been here you've been slowly turning me into your third daughter, or something!'

His mother was affronted. 'Tyler, that's not it at all. I-'

'Call dad,' he ordered. 'Call dad and tell him I'm coming back with him. I've made my decision.'

His mother did nothing. She stood in silence, on the verge of tears herself. 'I can tell you're very confused, Tyler,' she said calmly. 'You know you can talk to me about anything.'

'Call dad!'

Keira snapped. She had to reveal the truth. 'I can't!'

'What do you mean you can't?'

Keira wiped away a tear. 'I couldn't call him even if I wanted. He's not coming back, Ty. He already made his decision.'

Tyler didn't know what to say. 'But he said that he was-'

'He called me this morning,' Keira continued. 'He's got a new family, Ty. This new woman, she's already got three kids, and he loves her very much. I tried to convince him to at least visit us, but it's easier for him this way. He's cut ties with us, Ty.' Keira knelt down to meet her son's eye level. She stared into his streaming eyes. 'I'm so sorry.'

Tyler stood for a moment, taking in all he could fathom. Everything he hoped for was built on lies, even himself, and now every single lie that had been carefully curated since his arrival in Vancouver had come crashing down over him, stranding him in a pile of confusion of his own make. He believed in his father despite all that he'd done. Tyler was never going to go back with his father, he hoped for it, but it was nothing more than a falsehood.