Part 3

Melanie

My suitcase drags behind me as I pull myself up the winding, quiet staircase, not a soul in sight. I curse the last step as I stub my toe, hobbling the rest of the way to my dorm room. I've been sharing the exact same dorm with one of my friends, Persephone, since Freshman year, so my key basically turns itself into the lock. I sigh, flicking on the dim overhead light as I sidle myself into the room. I dump my bag onto the floor, the room feeling eerily silent.

You see, everyone trying out for the swim team had to come back 2 days earlier, for trials and team building exercises. Meaning, most of the dorms are still empty, and after the stay I've had with my annoyingly loud sister, a quiet space seems euphoric.

I take a breath before turning to my phone and opening spotify. If I'm here alone, I may as well make the most of it. I open up my playlist of obnoxious  Chase Atlantic songs, pressing play and cranking the volume up.

I spend the next hour or so busying myself with unpacking my suitcase, my side of the room suddenly feeling packed and far too bright with all my belongings. There's candles and blankets and textbooks galore, already looking messy against the other side of the room.

A pound on my door cuts through the too-loud music, causing me to jump a little. For all I know, there's only a few people who've come back this early, none of who I would call a friend. So, who is it?

I walk tentatively to my door, keeping the music roaring in case I need an escape distraction. My hand rests on the knob, twisting it's brass sideways until the door clicks free. I pull it towards me, my heart thudding as I wait to see who's behind my door. My eyes meet with the top of someone's chest before flicking up, connecting with their eyes.

Oh fuck no...

I grip the back of the door, trying to push it closed. He simply laughs, sticking his foot against the wall as he leans casually against the doorframe. I give in, sliding my hand up the door so I'm now leaning against it. Our stares are intense, neither of us speaking as we mirror each other's movements.

"Don't worry Melly, I'm not stalking you, or here to intrude." he begins, chuckling as his eyes fly over my body. I glance down at my attire, having completely forgotten I'd changed into my comfiest pair of pyjama pants as soon as I'd found them in my bag.

"Then what are you here to do, Whitlock?" I ask, rolling my eyes as he laughs again.

"Well..."

"Either tell me how you found out where I live and why you're here, or get the fuck away from my room and level me alone." I cut him off, disregarding what I'm sure was an inappropriate comment.

"Look, I ran into coach when I stopped in at the pool to drop some stuff off. He told me to tell you that we need to be at trials 20 minutes before everyone else to help set up. He gave me your room number." Bailey explains, running his tongue along the inside of his mouth as his head leans against his bicep on the doorframe.

"Okay." His eyes don't leave mine, even after I've acknowledged what he's said. A small smirk perches on his face when he catches my annoyance, his fingers spreading to drum against the oak wood of the frame.

"Are you just going to stand there all night?" I ask, not waiting for a response as I lift my leg, pushing my slipper covered foot into his abdomen. He rears back in dramatic pain, clutching at his stomach as he finally hobbles away from the door.

"See you tomorrow Melly. Good music choice, by the way. Bring a speaker, I'll sign you up for pooldeck DJ." he winks, grinning as he walks down the hallway, one hand resting in the front pocket of his jeans. I shove my door closed, running a hand through my loose hair as I flop down on my bed. I turn the music down a few notches, leaning forward to grab the cup of chocolate pudding I stuck in my mini fridge as soon as I got in. I rifle through my bag, finding a clean spoon tucked into one of its pouches before I fall back onto the bed. I swallow mouthful after mouthful of the sweet goodness, memories of my eventful day racing through my mind.