Part 12

Melanie

I've been a little confused over the last few days. More than normal, which is absolutely killing my brain. I feel like I'm in a muddle of mystifying bewilderment, slowly melting into a large puddle of my feelings.

 And all because of Bailey,

Fucking, 

Whitlock.

I don't really get it. We've been rivals since Freshman year, but all of a sudden, when we've started to work together, something feels like it's flipped. Something has changed, and I don't know what, but it's scaring the shit out of me. It's nearly tolerable to be around him, which is how I really know I'm in danger.

"Study date with Bai-i-i-ley?!"

Puzzled groans escape me as I throw on a sweater, looking across the room at my friend.

Let me get this straight. I don't like like him. It kills me to say it but... I'm starting to enjoy spending time with him. I know, someone get me a shotgun.

"No. I'm going to the library, to study by myself." I retort, throwing miscellaneous items into my tote bag.

"And why don't I believe you?" Persephone swivels around on her bed so she's lying on her stomach, resting her head in the palm of her hands.

"That seems like more of a you problem Pers."

"You have been spending a lot of time together Mel, you have to admit it's looking a little suspicious." I ignore her wink, shaking my head.

"Do you need to go back to your Neurologist? I think you might have a brain tumour."

"Just you wait, I'm pretty sure Nat said something along those lines too..."

"Bye Pers." I close the door behind me, blocking out Persephone's rambling. I take a deep breath, scaling the winding staircase down to the ground level of my building. I hold my bag tight to my body as I walk through the large glass doors and into the warmness of the late October day. 

It's a Saturday, and after an early morning swim training (one of which Bailey thankfully wasn't an attendee) I've decided to head over to the library. I've been finding it so difficult to focus as of late, so I thought a change of scenery could be desirable. I've always found the soft click of keys or swift flick of pages to be somewhat of a comfort, not to mention the smell of paperbacks. Although I'm not the biggest reader (minus Natalie's books, I would be hung, drawn, and quartered by Lera if I didn't read them) I've always had an appreciation for books. It's probably the storytelling aspect paired with the fact my Mom is a librarian, but there's something compelling about stories.

My eyes fly around campus, falling on groups of students taking in the most of the sunshine. I smile to myself, focussing on the library that's slowly coming into view. I round the corner, reaching into my pocket to grab my phone. My finger brushes over the side of my waist, and my mind can't help but circle back to what happened just a matter of days ago. The way his fingers delicately tickled the bare skin of my waist, how they danced just above my hip bone... no. I'm not going there. 

Pushing the thoughts further away from the forefront of my mind, I pull myself into the quiet haven of the library. I swipe my ID card, immediately crossing the floor towards the back of the building. I always feel more at ease sitting at the back of a room. I don't know if it's a confidence thing, or just that I like to be alone and out of the way, but I enjoy it either way. 

I stop myself beside the empty double desk closest to the back of the room, dumping my bag on the ground. I slide into the seat, pulling out my laptop as well as a notebook. I search my bag for my standard colored pens, placing them next to my book. I open my laptop, launching into my work a second later. For a minute, I can finally block out the thoughts that have been overtaking me for the past few days. They're all stuffed into the back of my head, a heavy boot pushing them down further until I'm freed.