Part 4

Melanie

My feet slap across the dry pavement as I round the last bend, my dorm building coming into view. I wipe a layer of sweat from my forehead, taking a sip from my near-empty water bottle. I fling open the door, pulling my gym bag behind me as I sidestep the influx of new people. It's move in day for all the normal people, meaning there's stressed parents marching the building carrying boxes of stuff their kid probably won't every look at again. After making my way through the crowd, and directing a few lost souls to their rooms, I finally make it up the stairs, pulling out my key as I make it to my room. 

"Ahhhh! I was wondering when you'd turn back up!" I'm pulled into Persephone's arms, my head falling to the edge of her shoulder due to our height difference. 

"You should of told me what time you were coming! I would've hung around. Sorry, I just went to the gym so I'm sweating from every single part of my body." I reply, pulling away and grabbing a spare face towel from my cupboard, running it over my face. 

"Oh don't worry about it, it's fine. Anyway, how's it been without anyone here for the past couple of days?" I drop my bag to the floor, laughing softly.

"It's so quiet, I could actually get to sleep without screams echoing off the walls, you wouldn't believe it." Persephone laughs, bringing me into another tight hug.

"Have you seen the other girls yet?" She asks, moving back to her open suitcase, pulling stray items out and placing them around the room. 

"No, not yet. I think Nat was spending the last few days helping to move her grandparents into their new place, and Lera was still down at her parents place." I reply, searching my bag for a clean towel and change of clothes. 

"Do you want to see if they're around to meet somewhere?" I nod, grabbing out my array of soaps and shower products before walking towards the door. 

"Yeah, I'll just take a quick shower now, if I can make it past the crowd, so could you call them?" Persephone nods, and I smile at her as I pull the door closed behind me. 

Once I finally push through the herd of wandering parents and new students, I have a quick shower, my aching bones melting into the lukewarm water. I get dressed, letting my kinky hair run wild as I walk back down the hall, past another herd of lost people. Seriously, is it that hard to find a map?

I burst back into my room, flopping down on my bed as Persephone laughs from beside me. 

"It's a zoo out there, absolutely nuts." I state, dumping my dirty clothes in my washing hamper after I push myself off of my bed. 

"Just think, this is our last first day back." Persephone says, her voice soft as she sits down on her bed, pulling on a pair of shoes. 

"Nah uh, no getting sentimental on me, you know my no crying before 9pm rule." I state, wagging my finger at her sarcastically. 

"It's good to see you haven't changed Mel. Anyway, I called Nat and Lera, and they said they're both back at their places. Lera said she's got some cinnamon rolls in the oven if we wanted to-" I chuck on my crocs, pulling Persephone off of her bed before she can finish. 

"Cinnamon rolls? Why didn't you tell me!"

...

"Ahhhh! It's so good to see you all again!" Natalie screeches into my ear as she pulls me into Lera's apartment, engulfing me in a tight hug. I wrap my arms around her, just as I feel another 2 pairs of arms hold tight onto me. 

"Group hug!!!" Persephone says, her voice miles away as she towers over me. I laugh, holding the others close for another few moments before squirming my way out of their grasp.