Part 6

Melanie

The ground almost vibrates under our feet as the girls and I edge closer to the bustling frat house. People spill in and out of the door, almost to the rhythm of the music. It's absolute mayhem, and I feel Persephone hands wrap tighter around my arm. 

"Wow, I didn't expect it to be so packed." Casey says from behind me, his body pressed up against Natalie's. 

"Neither did I." I snort as we reach the front door, only have to smile at the people at the door before we're let in. "But hey, free booze, am I right?"

It's the first Friday of the year, and to start off the swim season, a group of Junior's with cashed up parents decided to throw a party at their too-big frat house. And, seeing as I'm co-captain of the team, I thought of it as my civil duty to attend. And, maybe to get wasted. 

I lead my friends into the house, the music only intensifying under the bright, fluorescent lights. We reach a large round table in the centre of the house, laden with large coolers. I flick my eyes around the room, before they land on someone all too familiar, pulling drinks out of one of the coolers and handing them around. 

"Alright, let's turn around." I attempt to yell over the music, pulling on Persephone's arm lightly in an attempt to steer her away from the table. 

"Melly! How good it is for you to join!" I cringe, collecting my emotions before turning around, a defined scowl on my face.

"Why can I never escape you? What are you doing here?" I ask Bailey, watching as he throws me a self-satisfied smirk.

"My civil duty as co-captain, looks like you're doing the same. Now, what can I get for you and your friends?" he replies, gesturing to the small entourage behind me.

"I'd literally drink anything to get away from you." I say, my teeth practically grinding together. 

"Alright then, vodka it is then." he replies, picking up an unused red cup and pouring a liquid into it. His eyes never leave mine as he hands it over to me, our fingers skimming over each others for a millisecond. I down the liquid, slamming the cup back down on the table next to him. It takes me a second to get my voice back, the drink burning my throat a little. But, nothing I can't handle.

"That's the best you've got?" I send him a challenging look as he takes back my cup, pouring a selection of liquids into it. He passes it back to me, and I down it just as quickly, careful not to screw up my nose. 

"If you don't mind, I'm going to go find a real drink. I'll be over doing beer pong if anyone needs me." I place my cup back down on the table, poking my tongue out at Bailey before smiling at my friends. They all look slightly bewildered, but nevertheless let me go, telling me not to do anything stupid while I'm gone.

...

One second I'm downing a drink, the next, I'm out on the dance floor, and making eye contact with my friends. I giggle, walking towards them with my arms extended. 

"Heyyyy guyssss." I slur, burying my head into someone's shoulder. 

"Mel, how much have you had to drink?" A deep voice asks from above me. I lift my head, seeing Casey's eyebrow raised from above my head. I attempt to hold up my hand, although my fingers seem wobbly, the music pounding in my ears. 

"Mel, I think it's time we go home." A soft voice comes from beside me, so soft I almost can't hear it. My lips spread into a pout, and I pull myself out of whoever's hold I'm currently in. 

"Nope, no, no, no. I'm having sooooo much fun, and I'm not even tired."

"You're drunk Mel, you should be getting home and into bed." I look up, spying Christian holding a beer in his hand as he speaks to me.