Part 8

Bailey

The whole party thing has been weighing on my mind heavily over the past week. I can't really remember anything from that night, I don't even know how I got home. I can't remember who I was with or what I did with a few drinks down, but it was what Melanie said in the flower shop the other week that scratched something. Something about... being good at something? I truly have no idea, but the question has been eating me up. What happened at that stupid party?

"Whitlock, you there." I snap back to reality as Coach waves his hands in front of my face, my focus returning. 

"Yeah, sorry Coach, just thinking."

"Okay, can you grab Melanie and take the team down to warmup? I need to go talk to some officials for a second." he slaps me on the shoulder, leaving me alone in my seat. I take a deep breath, rubbing my hands over my eyes before I stand up. My eyes scan the sea of kids, finally falling on Melanie. I nod my head towards her, before motioning to the warm up pool. She nods, standing from her own seat. 

"Okay guys, we're going to start warmup now. We'll do quick some stretching on that grass over there together first, and then we'll swim a few laps. Let's go." I turn back to my bag, pulling off my shirt and dumping it on top of a clean towel. I grab both my swim cap and my pair of lucky goggles, taking a quick swig of water. I turn back around, my eyes locking with Melanie's instantly. She averts her eyes just as quickly, and I watch as she grabs her own stuff out of her bag. 

Seeing that a group of eager kids are ready, I motion for them to follow behind me. I walk down the cold, long staircase, making the journey from the stands to the pool deck. I lead the team onto the grassed area, spreading us out until we've moved into a large circle. I look across, seeing Melanie standing directly opposite me, her cap and goggles tucked into the material of her tech suit. 

"Alright, we can start with lunges first, make sure you feel the stretch." She begins, stepping backwards into the stretch. The rest of the teams follows her lead, and people turn to those beside them to chat. I turn my own head, unaware of who was standing next to me. 

"Oh, hey Green, sorry I didn't notice you there." I say, smiling at my friend beside me.

"What's going on with you and Melanie?" I narrow my eyes, suddenly more interested. What does he mean?

I'd been busy with school this week, so I didn't really stick around to talk to many people after training or anything like that. I haven't heard any rumours either, let alone from Jamie. I'd basically been missing from anything social since the party.

The party...

"What do you mean?" I ask, my eyes flicking to Melanie from across the circle. She's deep in conversation with a girl beside her, laughing at something. She must feel my stare, because she looks over at me, her eyebrows knotting at my expression. 

"At the party, you kissed her. So, what's going on?" Jamie asks again, a sense of bitterness on his tongue.

"Wait, what? Who said that?" 

"Literally half the swim team. The kids you were playing 7 minutes in heaven with. What, you don't remember?" I rack my brain, trying to remember that night. After having a week to think about it, I do vaguely remember kissing somewhere, but the details are still hazy. Was it Melanie?

"Hang on, I don't remember that much about that night. Did the people there say it was her, for sure?" I ask, watching as Jamie scoffs, rolling his eyes.

"Why do you care so much?" I ask, just before it dawns on me. "Wait... are you... are you jealous? You like her, don't you?" He hisses at me to be quiet, looking across at her before turning back to me.