Part 15

Bailey

Making sure the punnet of strawberries I picked up last night were tucked safely into my bag, I pick up my stuff, heading for my door. I'm late, but no one will really care. Captains benefits, am I right?

My keys clink together as I press them into their keyhole, twisting them sideways until the door locks. I lazily stroll down the hallway, stopping just in front of the elevator. I wait earnestly as it whizzes up the different levels, the door flinging open for me a few moments later. I walk inside the cool, metal box, leaning on one of the walls. I pull out my phone, not the least bit surprised when I see a text message from Lucinda. She said she was coming to watch the swim meet tonight, since it was home at our school pool, and she was just letting me know she got there 

We've been dating for around a month, and everything's been pretty okay. Not exhilarating, not quite boring, just... okay. But, amazing as everything is... I just feel like I'm missing something with her. A spark, something that excited me. It sounds really shitty, and I hate to think about it, but I can't stop thinking that we're doomed. 

So, why am I still with her? I don't know, but whatever it is, it's buried far below the surface. Far, far out of reach in everyday thoughts, unable to be unearthed entirely. Maybe it's because she's a constant thing in my mind, maybe it's she's nice, and beautiful, and maybe it's because she makes everything seem brighter. But whatever it is, the uneasiness I have about the relationship, it has everything to do with me, and nothing to be blamed on her part.

So in this case, it's definitely me that's the problem, not her. Not even one little bit.

I'm not being fair to her, and it's eating me up. She's an amazing person, kind, loving, all anyone could ever ask for. She makes me happy, and helps to fill time I'm desperate to get rid of. Because anytime not spent occupied, I'm busy thinking about the only other constant thing in my life. The only girl that's ever been a challenge to me, the only one who I couldn't image not being in my life.

The number ringing my phone at this very second.

"Aww Melly, are you missing me already? Don't worry, I'll be there in a minute or two."

"Shut up Whitlock. Where are you? We're doing the flag thing, and we need you there because I'm not sure if you've forgotten, but you are unfortunately a captain." her annoyed tone makes me chuckle, although I begin to walk faster across the lobby. 

"Okay okay, I'm leaving my place now, I'll be there in like 5 minutes." I throw my bag into the passenger seat of my car, the engine revving to life.

"Great, because we're going out in 5. Well done Whitlock, well fucking done." The phone cuts out, and I throw it into cup holder, my foot laying itself on the accelerator. 

If it wasn't for Melanie, I wouldn't even bother rushing. The flag bearer thing is stupid, a ridiculous distraction used to try and pump up each school. Honestly, I don't see how walking around holding a flag of your school is beneficial to anyone, but maybe that's just me. 

I speed a little as I make my way to campus, turning my car into the first parking spot I can find. Which, after circling campus once, just so happens to be miles away from the pool. I always forget how many people turn up to these things, which just makes things 10x more unbearable when I turn up late.

I grab my bag, chucking it onto my back as I break out into a jog. By Melanie's calculations, the ceremony starts in 1 minute, and it will take me at least 2 to get to the pool. Maybe I should've worn something other than my crocs. At least they're on sports mode. 

The soft glow of the pool finally floats into view, and I sprint the last few metres. Standing in front of the large, glass door, I take a deep breath before I throw it open. Strong chlorine hits my nose, the familiar smell radiating off of every surface in this place.