Part 14

Melanie

"Mel, do you have to be so on theme every single year?"

My eyes flick to the mirror, surveying the outfit that's staring back at me. The plastic wings twinkle in the escaping light, their light blue pairing with my green flowy dress. I slide my feet into the dainty green ballet flats, grabbing a makeshift trick-or-treat bag off of my dresser. 

"Of course. Once a fairy, always a fairy. And anyway, someone has to do it." I smooth my hands down my dress, laughing as Persephone adds the finishing touch to her costume.

She's decided to take a different approach, dressed from head to toe in pyjama's. 'A recovering insomniac' she called herself when I asked what she was going as. The discomfort on the back of my ankles is already making me envious, although I know I can't back down now.

"Hey, so are the other girls coming here first or-" the old, rickety door shakes with the force of what I presume is a fist, cutting me off mid sentence. At least my question was answered, right?

Persephone, who's standing closer to the door, flings it open, a spillage of color and voices flowing into the room. 

"The party has arrived!"

"Don't bust a hip partying too hard grandpa!" Christian narrows his eyes at me, breaking out into an uncoordinated jig just to prove me wrong. Casey and Natalie laugh from beside him, while Lera snorts, elbowing the side of his ribs. 

"Oh my god... Lera... how did you get him into that costume!" I almost double over laughing, my eyes widening as I focus on Christian's costume. He's dress as... wait for it... Gru from Despicable Me. He's got the long nose, striped scarf, and even his Lucy at his side. It's incredible.

I immediately whip out my phone, watching as he strikes a pose. The resemblance from him to the real character is striking, an image I won't be able to get out of my head for years to come. You already know which pictures I'll be adding to the wedding slideshow. Probably the funeral one too. 

"Surprisingly easily. He'll never admit it, but when the movies came out, he used to sit and watch them back-to-back, and forced everyone else to as well." Lera replies, laughing as Christian smirks. He really has no humiliation, like ever. 

"Wait, did you guys bring Clauds with you too?" Persephone asks, gathering a few stray items from around her side of the room and shoving them into her bag. 

"Yeah, we left her in the car with the window down to come and get you guys. We knew you wouldn't be long." 

"Shit, we should probably go then."

I grab my stuff, hoisting a large tote bag on my shoulder. Meant for candy, obviously. 

When we're ready, Christian and Lera exit the room first, closely trailed by Persephone. I fall into line with Natalie, who pulls me into a tight side hug. The softness of her onesie only intensifies my need for comfortable clothes and a warm bed, both of which are hours out of reach.

"You guys are so cute." I distract myself from my devastated complaining, focussing on their costumes. Casey's dressed as Winnie the Pooh, while Natalie's channelling her inner Piglet, both of which are in onesie form. Now can you understand my jealousy. 

"So are you, Tink." Natalie replies, her hand dangling over my shoulder. Tonight, I've decided to play Tinkerbell, sticking to my fairy theme of a few years ago. I decided not to invest in a blond wig, instead just rolling with my natural hair. It's my own take, although my childhood obsession with the creatures is nothing to be mistaken. 

"Thankyou. She was always my favorite fairy, and I had these wings lying around so I thought I'd give it a go." We push through the doors, spreading out into the cooling evening sun. We cross the small grassed quadrangle, heading towards Christian's truck. He opens the door, revealing a costumed Claudia. Loud giggles choke my throat as the light ball of fur rockets around, attempting to pull its costume off of itself.