Part 5

Bailey

My bare feet slide along the hardwood floors of my apartment as I rush around, trying to clean the place up a bit. Dirty mugs get thrown into the dishwasher, dirty clothes stuffed into the washing machine. We've only been back, doing classes for a handful of days, and already my place is looking like a dump. The complete opposite to the environment I was living in back at my moms place.

I don't even know why I'm putting all the effort in. Melanie's coming over so we can do the first part of our project, much to both of our dismay. We also need to head over to the pool afterwards, to help coach figure out who'll be swimming in what events for our first competition in just under 2 weeks. But... it's just Melanie, it's not like I want to impress her with my cleanliness or anything. But, on the other hand, I don't want her to think I live in a complete pigsty either. So here we find ourselves.

A knock at my door pulls me back to reality, and I take one last look around my apartment. It's practically spotless, probably the cleanest it's ever been.

I reach my door, pulling the handle to swing it open. Melanie's standing with her back turned to me, the sun glowing off of her side profile. She looks beautiful, with her hair laying naturally on her shoulders. I can't even deny it, Melanie is one of the most gorgeous girls I've ever laid eyes on. Not that I'd ever admit that, of course.

She turns around while I'm looking at her, flaring her nose as she pushes past me into my apartment. I'm left with my arm leant against the door, and I shake my head slowly before letting the door fall closed.

"Make yourself at home." I say sarcastically, watching as she throws her bag down before dropping herself into one of the chairs surrounding my small, circular dining table.

"Do you want anything to drink?" I continue, watching as she pulls our her laptop as well as a couple of pens and a notebook.

"I'm good. You'll probably poison me or something." I laugh, surprised to see her not even cracking a smile.

"So... how are you?" Melanie laughs this time, narrowing her eyes.

"Look Whitlock, I'm not here to chit-chat the day away, I'm only here because we need to do the project. Now, can you hurry up so we can start?"

"Always one to hurry into things, aren't you Melly?" I joke, causing her to roll her eyes.

"I can't believe I'm stuck doing this project with you for a whole year. You're just so..."

"Handsome? Charming? Inspiring?"

"Insufferable."

I hmph, pulling open my own laptop as I take a seat beside her.

"So, what part of the project should we do first?" Melanie asks, tapping a colored pen against her notebook.

"I don't know, I don't really care." She throws me a death stare, sighing loudly.

"I'm not going to do all your work for you, you know. I'm not some slave that you can use to get out of doing stuff you don't want to."

"I never insinuated that you would. Only that, I couldn't give less of a fuck about this entire project, so you can choose which part we do first. I'll do the work, I just don't care in what order." Melanie shakes her head, flicking through something on her laptop.

"Alright, well let's start with the fitness part then. It says here, 'You and your partner must make a joint fitness plan that you will both follow and complete together. You will need to take into consideration the difference in fitness levels and strengths/weaknesses in everyday fitness.'"