Part 19

Melanie

"Mel... Mel... Mel!" my eyes fly open, well one of them.

"Pers..." I whisper breathlessly, my throat dry.

"Hey, Mel... it's okay, he's gone."

He... who's... oh-

"H-how?" I whisper as Persephone places a soft, warm blanket over my body.

"I knew something was wrong when I texted and called you asking what you wanted for dinner, and you didn't respond. So, I called Lera and Natalie, and we went to the pool. We bumped into Bailey, who told us you already went home. So, we got here, and I may or may not have had a can of pepper spray in my car. We came up the stairs, and we couldn't hear you because you were unconscious. We opened the door, saw him, and then I sprayed him in the eyes. He fled, to where we don't know." A breath gets caught in my throat as I hear the door open from behind her, relief flooding through me as I realize it's just my friends. They both come towards me, bringing me into a hug.

"Thankyou." I whisper, tears consuming my one clear eye.

"We're here to talk, if you want." Lera says softly, pushing hair behind my ear. 

I stay quiet, squeezing my eyes shut as a shot of pain shoots behind my eyes.

"I feel like I've just been hit with a truck." I whisper, my head hanging loosely.

"You can't go go sleep yet Mel. We need to get you to hospital. You're cut up and bruised pretty badly, and you were unconscious. And anyway, it's too dangerous to be here right now." My eyes snap open again, instantly wincing at the influx of light.

"Will you... will someone come with me? I just... I don't want to be alone right now."

"Don't worry, we'll all come. Leave the worrying to us." Natalie says, laying a soft hand against my forehead. 

A pang comes to my chest, the gesture reminding me of home. When my mu/oms would stroke my hair when I was upset until everything felt right again. 

How I wish to be there right now. 

I feel tears welling behind my eyes, and with no time to react they spill out of my eyes, blanketing my cold cheeks. 

"Come on Mel, let's go." The girls pull me off of my bed, wrapping me in hugs. I bury my head into someone's shoulder, sobs bursting out from all angles. Through my one open eye, I can make out the sight of the door, before a wave of nausea comes over me. I snap them shut again, a rustling of belongings emanating from my desk. I feel myself being pulled through the door, my door, my eyes snapping open to glance around the hallway. I almost jump out of my skin as two figures stand from the wall beside the door opening, my heartrate skyrocketing. 

"Are you okay Mel?" I let out a breath as I realize it's only Christian and Casey, who I presume came over here when the alarm was raised. 

"Sort of." I mumble, lowering my head, embarrassment suddenly engulfing me. 

I don't want people seeing me like this. All bruised and beaten, a complete and utter wreck. 

"It's okay Mel, we're all here for you." I'm pulled into another round of hugs, warm bodies compensating for the overwhelming coldness I feel. 

I mumble another response, wriggling out of the tight hold, my heart rate beginning to rise with claustrophobia. 

I keep my head down as I traipse down the cold, dark corridor, which is oddly unlively, even for a Wednesday. My busted up face hidden, I make it down the stairs in not time, even with a flurry of people holding onto separate parts of my body, making sure I don't  fall.