Chapter Five: Thorin Oakenshield

The group of twelve dwarves gathered around the door as it was opened to reveal their leader as Thalia leant against the back wall; she eyed the dwarf that entered before she shook her head, her thoughts turning to the bag that Gandalf had given her.

“I thought you said that this place was easy to find Gandalf. I got lost twice and wouldn’t have found this place if it wasn’t for the mark on the door,” the dwarf said making Bilbo quickly move to check his door for a mark.

Thalia eyed the door as she noted the magical mark that was on it; she had a feeling that it was Gandalf’s doing, she rolled her eyes and sat at the back of the room.

The group headed into the dining room so that their leader could have something to eat, they all seemed eager to hear what he had to say about the meeting with the other dwarf lords; they hoped that it would be good news since they only numbered thirteen without the help of the other beings in the room.

Thalia watched as they started to talk about the meeting that Thorin had attended before she collected the navy spot bag that she had been given by Gandalf.

Thalia glanced at the multitude of dwarfs before she slipped out of the room, she wouldn’t be missed while they discussed what their leader had been doing.

Thalia set the bag down on a table, she took a deep breath before she opened it curious as to what she would find; the blonde started to pull out the contents of the bag when she paused.

Inside were three outfits, three sets of shoes, two sets of pyjamas and a coat all of which she’d owned back in her own world that had disappeared with the last few months before Gandalf had brought her to Middle Earth.

Thalia stared at the items that she had pulled out of the bag, she frowned as she realised that the wizard had planned this all along; he had stolen items from her home and then had brought her to this world.

Thalia turned on her heel and stormed back into the dining room, she ignored the surprised looks from several of the dwarves as she cornered Gandalf; who raised an eyebrow at her as if he had been expecting that she would snap.

“You’ve been planning this for months haven’t you… you didn’t even care if I’d say no, you brought me to your world knowing that it was against the rules and you have been stealing from me,” Thalia shouted annoyed poking the wizard repeatedly, she ignored the whispers and protests as people attempted to stop her; she wanted to know the real reason that she had been brought to this world.

“Thorin this is Thalia Grace Hunter, the fifteenth member of your company,” Gandalf said simply, he ignored her rant instead choosing to introduce her to Thorin.

Thorin raised an eyebrow at the wizard, he had a feeling that the woman had no idea what she had let herself in for if she was going to argue with Gandalf the Grey.

***

Thalia looked over the contract that she had been given by Balin, she could hear Bilbo muttering the inner workings of what it said and she rolled her eyes as she quickly signed it; she handed it back to Balin, who raised an eyebrow at her as Bilbo continued to read over his own contract.

“Oh, up to but not exceeding one fourteenth total profit if any. Seems fair. Present company shall not be liable for injuries including but not limited to laceration, evisceration... incineration?” Bilbo said making Thalia paused, she glanced at the hobbit who was looking between the dwarves as if waiting for someone to explain what this meant; he looked a little pale and as if he was going to be sick.

“Oh, aye. He'll melt the flesh off your bones in the blink of an eye. Think furnace, with wings. Flash of light, searing pain, then poof, you're nothing more than a pile of ash,” Bofur said, Thalia looked at Bilbo concerned before the hobbit dropped into a dead faint; she sighed getting to her feet and moved to check on the now unconscious Bilbo while a couple of the dwarves chuckled.

“Very helpful, Bofur,” Gandalf said moving to help Thalia with Bilbo, he had a feeling that this was going to make things a little difficult when it came to convincing the hobbit to help them; they needed his help even if the dwarves didn’t see it.

Thalia helped Gandalf move Bilbo into his bedroom so that the hobbit could rest and wrap his head around what he had been told.

Thalia truly hoped that Bilbo did come on the trip especially since she didn’t trust Gandalf nor did she know the dwarves that she would be traveling with.

“So tell me Thalia what do you know about fighting?” Thorin asked as he watched her, he wasn’t sure that it was a good idea to bring along a woman on a quest such as this; he didn’t want to be responsible for her and he didn’t want her blood on his hands if something happened to her.

Thalia raised an eyebrow at the dwarf leader as she moved away from Bilbo’s bedroom, she knew that he didn’t truly want her around but she was there to stay since it was the only way that she would ever get home.

“Quite a bit,” Thalia said crossing her arms, she glanced at Dwalin who grumbled something under his breath making Thorin look at him while the other members of the company grinned as they remembered what the blonde had done to the axe and they didn’t doubt that she could do that to an orc.

Fíli and Kíli quickly started to tell their uncle about what had happened before he arrived, Thalia ignored them as she turned to glare at Gandalf; she wasn’t sure what he was up to but she knew that it was only going to bring trouble.

Thorin frowned as he turned his attention to Thalia, he wasn’t completely sure what the wizard had been thinking when he had dragged the woman into this; he didn’t care how well Thalia could handle a dwarf, they’d have other more dangerous beings and creatures out there.

“I cannot guarantee his safety nor can I guarantee hers. Nor will I be responsible for their fate,” Thorin said as he turned to look at Gandalf, he glanced across the room and at the blonde who had gone back to sorting through her things so that she could wear something sensible for the trip.

“I understand,” the wizard said as something sparkled in his blue eyes, he watched the dwarf for a moment before he walked away; he hoped that with this small change that he would be able to prevent the past from repeating itself.

Thorin watched the wizard leave the room, he didn’t know what it was but he had a feeling that whatever Gandalf had planned wasn’t going to end well for anyone; it wasn’t just the choice of hobbit that worried him but Gandalf’s decision to involve someone from another world.

“Thorin?” Balin asked as he looked at his friend, he could sense that something was bothering the dwarf king and he didn’t blame him for not completely trusting Gandalf; it was clear that the wizard had something up his sleeve.

“Get some rest… we leave at first light,” Thorin ordered as he looked around the room, he wanted to start as early as possible so that they could start the quest on getting their home back.