Chapter Thirty-Five: Strange Gifts

Thalia rubbed the sleep from her blue eyes as she woke up, she looked around confused for a moment before she remembered what had happened the night before.

Thalia sighed sitting up and brushed her good hand through her hair, she doubted that they would be seeing Cornelia any time soon; the dark haired demi-god needed to learn to control her temper.

“Morning,” Thalia greeted spotting that Bombur and Bofur were already awake, the rest of the company seemed to be sound asleep while only Thorin and Balin were missing.

Thalia looked around wondering where they could be, she knew that Balin would want to check her injury but she was in no hurry to be poked and prodded by anyone right now.

“Morning lass,” Bofur replied softly so that they didn’t wake anyone else up, it had been a long trip and they all deserved a decent rest; he looked at Thalia concerned as he eyed her arm as she got to her feet and continued to stretch.

A silence fell over the three as Thalia wondered what today would bring, she ignored the burning in her arm knowing that she’d attempt to heal herself in a few days when she had her strength back.

“How are you feeling?” Bofur asked as she moved towards them, he knew that Thorin and Balin were concerned about in wound and it didn’t take much to guess that it was infected.

Thalia offered Bofur a warm smile, she didn’t want anyone worrying about her; she had been injured enough back home to know that this was nothing compared to her worst injuries and nightmares.

However before she got a chance to ease the dwarf’s mind, Beorn appeared carrying a small jar of something in his arms.

“Come with me Daughter of Poseidon,” the shape-charger said making Bofur and Bombur look alarmed, they didn’t know yet if they could trust Beorn and they had promised to keep an eye on Thalia.

Thalia watched him curiously for a moment before she pushed herself to her feet, she didn’t know what he had but something inside of her told her that it was something good and would help her.

Bofur shook his head and whispered for Thalia to come back, he frowned wondering why the blonde would follow someone that she didn’t know; the last thing anyone wanted was something happening to her.

Thalia followed Beorn out of the main room and into a small side room away from prying eyes, she quickly glanced around the room curious as to what he wanted.

Beorn closed the door behind him as he looked at Thalia, he had been given this gift by Paloma who had told him that he would know what to do with it when the time came.

“I have a gift for you,” Beorn said showing Thalia the jar filled with strange golden-brown cubes; he had been told by Paloma that while he couldn’t eat any without severe consequences another demi-god would come and would need it.

Thalia opened her mouth confused at Beorn gave her the jar, she felt a tug of recognition making her wonder what it was; she had seen it somewhere before and it reminded her of the sweets that her grandmother used to give her as a child when she was hurt.

“Paloma said that they are called Ambrosia, the food of the Gods,” Beorn said watching Thalia curious about what she would do with it, he knew that they didn’t have a lot of time before the dwarves would come looking for her.

The shape-charger had to admit that he was a little disappointed in the fact that Gandalf hadn’t treated her wound earlier himself; it was bound to be painful now.

Carefully opening the jar, Thalia couldn’t help but smile of the found memory of her grandmother singing to her when she had been younger; the blonde ignored the panicked calls of Thorin and Balin lifting one of the cubes of Ambrosia out of the jar.