Chapter Twenty-One: Greek Gods of Old

“Let go of me,” Thorin demanded as Balin and Dwalin pulled back away from the edge, his blue eyes locked on the place where Thalia had been; he couldn’t believe that she had slipped from his grip like that.

Bilbo stood at the back of the group as he stared at the edge, he couldn’t believe that Thalia had given her life for his; it was his fault that she had fell and Thorin wasn’t going to be very welcoming to him right now.

“She wouldn’t want ya getting yourself killed,” Balin said trying to ease his friends grief, they had all known that this journey would claim lives but Thalia hadn’t deserved the fate that had befallen her.

Fíli and Kíli sniffled looking at their uncle, it was clear that this was all a little bit of a shock for the company and while they might not want to; they all needed to stop and sleep.

“I’ll find us somewhere to camp,” Nori said carefully glancing at Thorin, anyone could see that their king was in shock about what had just happened; he had cared for Thalia more than any of the others had.

Balin nodded his head in agreement as he kept an eye on Thorin, the last thing they needed was their fearless leader getting himself killed; they would reclaim Erebor in her memory, it was what she would want them to do.

“Come on Thorin… we need to get out of this rain,” Dwalin said helping the king to his feet, there was nothing that they could do for Thalia now and they only hoped that her death had been quick and painless.

***

“When do you think she will wake up?” said a voice making Thalia furrow her brow, she had fallen to her death so she wasn’t sure how someone could be talking about her; there was no way that she should have survived.

Thalia swallowed heavily as she listened, she didn’t know how long it was since she had slipped from Thorin’s grasp but her body didn’t ache like she thought it would; she guessed that was because she had died before she had hit the ground.

“Quiet Aphrodite… the poor girl’s been through enough,” said another voice that Thalia recognised as a woman’s, who was clearly sat close to her head.

Thalia felt someone wipe her forehead and she wondered how long she would have to cope with this strange darkness.

Aphrodite huffed making Thalia wonder why the woman seemed eager for her to wake up, she felt someone touch her hair making her groan; she didn’t like people touching her hair without permission.

“Thalia?” said the woman’s voice as the room went silent, it was as if they had been waiting for her to make a sign and now that she had; it was suddenly easier for the blonde to open her confused blue eyes.

Thalia was lying in a white room and there were two women with her, the one closest to her had curled brown hair that fell past her shoulders in neat waves and striking blue eyes; the other had long blonde hair and was one of the most beautiful people that Thalia had ever seen.

“How are you feeling?” the blonde asked making Thalia realised that she was Aphrodite, while the other woman rolled her eyes at her daughter-in-law. She often wondered how her son put up with Aphrodite who didn’t seem to have much going on upstairs.

“I feel fine… which is strange because I fell off a mountain,” Thalia said staring at the two women confused, Aphrodite giggled and nodded her head while the other woman sighed and moved to put her bowl of water away.

“Your father was so worried… he thought he wouldn’t be able to save you in time,” Aphrodite said without thinking, she ignored the warning look from the other woman as she smiled at Thalia with interest before she snapped her fingers and moved away to get something.

Thalia stared at her as she went as Aphrodite’s words started to sink in, she had only known for about a week or two that her father wasn’t really Nathan Hunter; she stared as everything slowly started to fall into place.

“Where am I?” Thalia demanded sitting up, she clutched the sheet over her to her chest as she looked at the two women that she now realised where Greek Gods; she felt her stomach churn wondering what had happened.

“You are on Mount Olympus,” the brunette said watching Thalia, she had agreed to look after her niece as a favor to Poseidon; he had been worried sick when he had brought a nearly dead Thalia to her and she knew she’d never do that for any of her own husband’s demi-gods.

There was silence in the room before Aphrodite appeared carrying a champagne coloured sequin Grecian maxi dress and a set of off white heeled sandals.

“Here you are,” Aphrodite said setting the items down, she smiled at Thalia knowing that she would make the blonde look perfect before she meet her father for the first time.

Thalia eyed the two goddesses warily, she had no idea what was going on but she suddenly wanted nothing more than to wake-up on her bedroll just feet from Thorin.

“I’ll leave you to get her ready,” the brunette said before she walked away leaving Thalia alone with Aphrodite, she knew her brother would be desperate for news about his only daughter.

“Don’t mind Hera…she’s not used to deal with demi-gods,” Aphrodite said pulling Thalia from her bed and started to dress her, she smiled pleased that she finally had someone to play dress up with.

Aphrodite barely had time to see her own children because of her duties and the rules, so now that Thalia had been left in her capable hands; she was going to enjoy this while she could.

“I don’t understand… I should be dead,” Thalia said allowing Aphrodite to dress her, she didn’t know what to think anymore since she had never thought that she would end up on Mount Olympus.

The goddess of beauty and love paused for a moment before she looked at Thalia, she had been told not to tell her anything and Poseidon wouldn’t be pleased if she did.

“I can’t say much only that your father wishes to speak with you… I think you’re one of his favourites,” Aphrodite said thinking about Poseidon’s other children, she knew how pleased he was that he finally had another daughter; he’d had seven sons over the years and only one other daughter that had turned into a monster.

Thalia stared at Aphrodite who continued to work on making her look perfect for her first meeting with her biological father; she felt a little uneasy knowing that she had other siblings that she didn’t know about.

“Don’t look so worried, you’ll be fine,” Aphrodite reassured Thalia, she brushed some hair from the blonde’s face; Poseidon would be growing restless and there was little much else she could do for Thalia since the blonde wasn’t one of her children.

After a few moments, Aphrodite smiled before she wrapped an arm around Thalia’s shoulders and led her from the room where she had woken up in; the blonde looked at her confused wondering where they were going.

Aphrodite didn’t speak as she led the demi-god in silence, she hoped that Poseidon was prepared to meet his daughter; he had waited long enough for this moment and he finally got to meet Thalia.

Aphrodite stopped outside of a room and only offered Thalia a reassuring smile before she knocked on the door; she doubted that the God of the ocean would want to be kept waiting.