Chapter Thirty-Seven: A Little Honesty

Thalia sat back watching some of the dwarves have practice fights, she took a deep breath knowing that tomorrow they would travel towards Mirkwood. 

There was something about the fact that they were traveling towards another elven city, which made the blonde feel a little nervous. 

"Thalia?" Bilbo called making the demi-god jump, she turned to look at the hobbit blinking as she realised that he had been talking to her; she had been lost in her thoughts about the journey to come. 

Thalia smiled at Bilbo as she messed with her pendant that Thorin had fixed for her, she knew that there was something that she was missing about his strange behaviour. 

"Sorry I was just thinking about things," Thalia said brushing some hair from her face, she knew that they were going to have to focus on what would happen next. 

Thalia wasn't sure what the future would hold for her, but she knew now that Cornelia was gone that she was going to have to watch her own back.

Bilbo nodded his head sitting down beside the blonde, he glanced over at Thorin who was watching them knowing that he wanted him to ask about some of Thalia's courting traditions. 

"I was wondering if you could tell me more about your world," Bilbo asked curiously, he wasn't just asking for Thorin; he was truly interested in what her world was like. 

Thalia nodded her head as she took a deep breath, she knew that everyone seemed interested in her world; she knew that it was to be expected. 

Thalia fought back a smile as she watched Dwalin take down Fíli in their practice fight; she wasn't surprised how relaxed everyone seemed. 

"What do you want to know?" Thalia asked turning her attention to the hobbit, the warm weather made her a little more relaxed and she knew it was going to be an easy day before they made their move.

"How would you ask someone to court you in your world?" Bilbo asked making Thalia look at the hobbit surprised about what he had asked her; she blinked at him as she wondered what had made him ask. 

Bilbo looked at Thalia, he knew that it would be best if he was honest with her since it was the only way that he would be able to find out how Thorin would be able to court her. 

"Bilbo... this is really sweet but you aren't my type," Thalia said knowing that she wasn't interested in the hobbit in that way, she glanced over at Thorin who was sat a little away from them. 

Bilbo squeaked at Thalia's misunderstanding, he shook his head knowing that he didn't see her that way either; she was his friend and nothing more. 

"It's not me," Bilbo said shaking his head as he looked over at Thorin who hadn't heard what Thalia had said; he was doing this for him and he knew that the best way to find out was to be honest with the blonde, who had no idea what Thorin was trying to do. 

"Thorin wishes to court you," Bilbo said looking at Thalia, he was surprised that none of the dwarves had realised that she had no idea what was going on; he knew that if she did then there was no doubt that she would agree since it was clear she liked Thorin. 

Thalia made a small noise of surprise as she looked over at Thorin, she knew he'd been acting strange lately but she hadn't thought that he was trying to court her. 

"That's what this has been all about," Thalia said looking at Bilbo, she was suddenly glad that the hobbit had told her about what was going on; she would have known how to respond then. 

Bilbo nodded his head, the dwarves had all assumed she would know straight away what was going on.

"He's been trying to prove that he is worthy of courting you," Bilbo said rolling his eyes, the whole thing would have been easier if Thorin would have just been upfront with Thalia about what he was doing. 

Thalia snorted amused a little at some of the attempts that she now realised made sense in a dwarfish way; she had never thought that this was what he was trying to do. 

"You're helping him?" Thalia guessed knowing that she was grateful for Bilbo telling her what was going on; she would have been completely unaware still if it wasn't for him. 

Bilbo nodded his head as the blonde thought of dating customs from where she was from, she couldn't think of one that would help her now and she knew she was a little rusty herself. 

"I can't think of anything right now," Thalia mused shaking her head, her blue eyes seeking Balin knowing that he would be able to help her to understand more about what was going on with Thorin. 

Bilbo nodded his head, he recalled Thalia saying that she hadn't courted anyone in a while and she would have to think of something that Thorin would actually be willing to do.

***

Balin blinked staring at Thalia, he was a little surprised at her question and he could understand why she had come to him instead of going to anyone else. 

"Bilbo told me," Thalia said knowing that she wasn't upset about what was going on, she was more curious than anything and she knew that there had to be something that she could do to make this easier on Thorin. 

Balin nodded his head glancing at the hobbit that had come with her, they had wanted to get some answers about what Thorin was doing. 

"Thorin has to stick to our customs since he is the king," Balin said sitting down, his tired eyes looking at Thalia knowing that she would understand; she was going to have to get used to Thorin's duties if she agreed to court him. 

Thalia sat down and nodded her head as she listened, she didn't expect anything other and she knew that Thorin would always have to put his role as king first. 

"How would I accept?" Thalia asked curiously, she knew that the next time that Thorin did a strange gesture then she would accept straight away when they were in private. 

Balin stared at Thalia, he was pleased that she seemed to return Thorin's feelings; this was only the beginning if Thalia accepted. 

"You should present him with a small collection of flowers," Balin said knowing that their customs would seem strange to Thalia, but he was glad that she was willing to follow them over her own. 

Bilbo blinked a little surprised about what Thalia had to do to accept Thorin's courtship, he had expected something a little different.

"Now we need to think of something that Thorin can do," Balin said knowing that it would seem a little strange if Thalia accepted his friend's courtship now. 

Thorin had to earn the right to court the blonde and he was going to have to do something special; something that would allow him to prove how he felt about the blonde. 

Thalia nodded her head as she crossed her arms, her blue eyes glancing out of the window as she tried to think of something that Thorin could do. 

"I have an idea," Bilbo said quietly looking at Balin, he was using what he knew of dwarves and what he had learnt of Thalia's world to come up with the best idea possible. 

Balin and Thalia looked at the hobbit wondering what he had come up with, it would have to be something good enough if they wanted Thorin to do it.