Chapter Fifty-Seven: Unexpected Help

Thalia ran her fingers through her hair as she tried to work out what to do about Kíli's leg, she knew that time was running out for the dwarf and she could only hope that Bofur would be back soon with the item that they needed.

Thalia took a deep breath as she focused on cooling Kíli down and attempting to clean out his wound so that they would be able to heal him better; she peeked around the room attempting to find answers for what would happen now.

"It's gonna be okay," Thalia whispered to Kíli while she tried to stop him thrashing around, she could not imagine what he was going through right now; she was doing what she could to help him but they were drastically running out of time.

"He won't last much longer if Bofur doesn't return soon," Oin muttered shaking his head, the poison was drastically moving through Kíli's body and if he didn't make it then all hope was lost.

Fíli looked at Oin concerned, he had no idea what was going to happen if his brother didn't make it; he would never forgive himself if something happened to Kíli, he had to do something to help.

Thalia opened her mouth to say something to comfort Fíli when there was a crash from outside the door; her head snapped to look at it as she realised that they were about to get some unexpected company.

The door to Bard's home burst open revealing a group of orcs that had clearly followed them from Mirkwood, they charged into the home without a second thought only that everyone inside that home must die.

Thalia dived across the room to grab her sword, she had grown quite fond of the weapon that she now called Stormbringer; she had no idea what she would have done if she would have lost it in Mirkwood.

Thalia was quick to block a blow from one of the orcs, she pushed them back while everyone else attempted to defend themselves.

Thalia couldn't believe that they had been followed and now the orcs decided to attack, she could only imagine what was happening with Thorin and the others while they were being attacked.

Thalia blocked another attack, she gritted her teeth holding back a curse wanting nothing more than to get rid of their unwanted guests; she pushed back and slammed into the orc shoving him out of the house.

"Be careful," Fíli shouted looking at Thalia, he truly didn't want to explain to his uncle about how Thalia had been killed; he was quite found of the woman that would soon be his aunt.

Thalia was engaged to Thorin and everyone in the company knew that, they were all hoping that having her presence would stop Thorin succumbing to the gold sickness; they just needed to make sure that she survived the next few days.

Thalia ducked to dodge the blow from her opponent, she wasn't going to give in that easily and she was getting so much better at fighting even if she was still getting used to having a sword in her hand.

Throwing a wooden stool at the orc, Thalia dodged out of the way and gripped at her sword; she could hear the sounds of fighting inside the house and she knew that they were outnumbered at that very moment.

Thalia might have been able to hold off Azog but that had been months ago, she was exhausted right now and she wanted nothing more than to get this over with; Kíli was still fighting for his life, a fact that hadn't slipped Thalia's mind even if she was currently fighting for her life.

Thalia took a deep breath as she circled the orc, she could see that he was planning something and she hoped that she wouldn't have to deal with more trouble anytime soon.

"You will die demi-god," the orc hissed at Thalia as he kept his eyes on her, his master had told him so much about the blonde and his plans to make her suffer; she would never live to become Queen under the Mountain.

Thalia snorted, she wasn't going to down with a fight and she had a feeling that whoever was controlling these creatures wasn't going to expect anything less from her.

The orc lunged at Thalia raising his sword over his head, Thalia prepared for the impact her sword ready to defend herself when the orc was shot down by an arrow causing it to drop to the floor.

Thalia stood still confused for a moment, she stared at the dead orc before she turned around to see a red haired she-elf hurrying into the house; she blinked wondering what the hell was going on, she hadn't known that they were being followed by elves.

"You could at least say thank you," muttered a voice making her turn again to look at Legolas, who walked passed her without looking at her; he collected his arrow from the now dead orc before he headed towards the house to help Tauriel with the orcs inside.

Thalia opened and closed her mouth for a moment, part of her wanting to tell him that she didn't need his help since she could have handled the orc on her own.

"Thank you," Thalia called knowing that now was not the time to argue, she had other things to worry about right now than not getting to kill the orc; she moved to follow after Legolas who stopped to look at her surprised that she had actually said that.

Thalia walked passed him as the remaining orcs seemed to flee from the house, she had a feeling that this wasn't over; she moved to check on Kíli who had been knocked onto the floor.

"Tauriel we must give chase," Legolas called looking to his friend as the orcs fled while he moved to give chase to them, they couldn't let their chase go just because they had found the dwarves; there was something bigger coming and they needed to find out what it was.

Tauriel looked towards Legolas as she realised that they must move on, she peeked over at Kíli who was writhing on the floor in pain while Thalia and Oin tried to help him; her heart pounded in her chest torn.

Tauriel had never felt like this before, she loved her talks with Kíli while he had been a prisoner and for a long time she had been in love with Legolas but now she just wasn't sure which path to follow.

"Go with him... I'll stay with them," Paloma urged appearing from outside, she knew how the she-elf felt for her betrothed and this was the right thing to do; she was nothing more than an interloper and had taken what wasn't hers.

Tauriel stared at Paloma surprised for a moment, she hadn't known that the demi-god of Zeus had followed them out of Mirkwood; she had thought that Paloma had stayed behind organising her wedding to Legolas.

"Go," Paloma urged moving to help her cousin, she knew that there was little that she could do but she was sure that there was some plan to help the dwarf.

Tauriel stood silently for a moment watching Paloma, there was something different about her now that she was away from Mirkwood and she hoped that the woman before her was here to stay.

Thalia looked at Paloma a little surprised about how different she seemed, she seemed lighter than the Paloma that she had left behind; she wondered if the dark magic of the forest had affected her cousin.

"Don't say a word," Paloma mumbled not looking at Thalia instead focusing her attention on the wound, she was suddenly glad that she had spent a lot of time learning about healing from the elves.

Thalia nodded her head and looked around, the house had been practically destroyed in the fight; her eyes landing on Bofur as he rushed into the house with the plant that they needed to save Kíli.

Thalia could only hope that the two elves would be able to catch the rest of those orcs.