Chapter Fifty-Nine: Smaug Arrives

Thalia sighed laying on her back and staring at the ceiling, it had been nearly two weeks since she had seen Thorin and the others; she had received no word from them yet and Durin's day had been yesterday. 

It worried Thalia that there was no word, she knew that there could very well still be a dragon up in the mountain and she feared what would happen with the others; she knew that there was a large chance that the gold sickness would claim him. 

Thalia turned onto her side, she closed her eyes wanting to sleep and she had a feeling that it was going to be a long night; she was a little concerned that Bard hadn't come back after his run in with the guards. 

"Will you lie still?" Paloma hissed from her place sleeping next to Thalia on the floor, she was far from happy with the arrangement and she couldn't wait to sleep in a proper bed again after this. 

Thalia ignored her cousin, she tried to clear her head and fall asleep but it was still hard for her to do so; she groaned wishing that she could sleep and she wanted to be as rested as possible before they headed for the mountain. 

Thalia was slowly started to finally fall asleep when there was a massive crash, she jumped up and looked around trying to work out what had happened; she couldn't see anything in the dark room but she could hear screams outside. 

"What do you all have against a decent night's sleep?" Paloma snapped sitting up, she glared into the darkness before Fíli looked out of the window; the colour drained from his face at the sight that greeted him. 

Thalia looked at him and she had a horrible feeling about what he was seeing, she got out of her make-shift bed and moved to see what was happening; she stared in shock when she got to the window to see Laketown on fire. 

"We need to leave," Bofur said knowing that the dragon couldn't be stopped, they needed to get out of Laketown and they nodded to do it now; the entire town would burn and no one would stop him.

"What's going on?" Sigrid asked coming out of her bedroom, she looked at the people that had taken up the living area of her home; she had kind of enjoyed having them there and would be sad to see them leave. 

Paloma got to her feet and started to organise everything, they needed to get going and she wasn't going to just sit around while Laketown burned around her; she had a feeling it was only going to get worse. 

"It's Smaug," Bofur replied collecting his things, he knew that they had to be quick and he was relieved that at least Kíli was a little better healed down. 

Everyone moved starting to pack up and get ready, Paloma headed out to find them a boat so that they could get going; they didn't have a lot of time and the dragon seemed intent of killing everyone in his path. 

"This is all your fault," Bain shouted rushing into the room, his father had been right the dwarves had brought them nothing but trouble and now a dragon was destroying the only home he had ever known. 

Thalia handed her bag to Oin as he hurried out of the house, she walked over to the children; she couldn't leave them here and she had every intention of taking them with her. 

"We don't have time for this," Thalia said to Bain, she knew that he had no reason to trust them but their father was not around and she had to do something. 

Bain stared at Thalia, he couldn't believe that any of this was happening; he feared that this was all going to end with everyone he loved dead. 

"We need to get out of here now," Thalia ordered before she ushered the three children out of the house, time was running short and Smaug would not stop.