The Day Gone By

The group of five found the bus company, the Doctor using her sonic quite frequently. "This is where the artron signals converge. At the bus company."

"All roads lead to Rosa Parks," Yaz commented. 

"This is not good," Astra recognized, looking around worriedly. "She's too important to US history. Massively important. I mean, ya Brits know about her. Big, big, big," she babbled nervously. 

The Doctor took her hand. She stared at the brunette comfortingly. "We'll have a look around. Keep history safe," she near-promised. She activated her sonic again and it brought them to a shed. It had about five padlocks on it so it was clearly pretty important. 

They stepped into a large, open, mostly empty room. There was a large stepladder, a set of chairs around a table, a tarp, and a suitcase in between them. Her friends stayed behind the Doctor mostly, Astra kept good time, stepping toward the case. Yeah, she was a little way curious. 

"There's nothing in here," Ryan nearly complained. 

Yaz, though, stayed in her policewoman head space. "Why padlock an empty room?"

"Unless it's not empty," the Doctor offered, pointing her Sonic around the room. 

The brunette left her side, getting ahead of the group. "It's not," she confirmed, walking over to the suitcase. She picked it up by the handle. G. F. B was engraved on the center. 

"There's nothing there," Graham argued. 

Astra frowned down at the case. 

The Doctor suddenly pointed her sonic at it and they all jumped. "How did you see that?" she asked the brunette. 

Graham pointed at the suitcase like it was a rodent. "That wasn't there a second ago." He was grimacing. 

Ryan looked a little shell-shocked, but managed a deadpan at Graham. "No kidding."

Astra frowned at the Brits. "Yes, it was. I saw it, remember?" 

The Doctor smiled and took the case. "Yes, you did. And it was there. We just couldn't see it. Perception filter." She set it on the ground, the two ladies kneeling together. 

"Why would anybody do that to a suitcase?" Yaz called from where she stood by Ryan. 

No one had an answer, but Astra had another question: "Can we open it?"

A wild grin spread on her face. "Is the right question!" the Doctor finished, endlessly pleased. She held her sonic out to it, just unlocking lest she activate something dangerous. She let out an excited huff. "Is anyone excited? Cos I'm really excited." 

"You won't be if it's a bomb," Graham barked from the back. 

"If it were a bomb, it would've gone off when I picked it up." She paused, as did the others, at the implication. "Ok, done picking up stuff that's not mine," she mumbled. 

The Doctor grinned at her over her shoulder. "It's a good hobby," she complimented, bumping shoulders with the brunette. 

The humans shared a look. 

"So, don't kill the vibe, Graham," the Doctor scolded before opening it. Five devices laid, cushioned, in a row. They were very steampunk. 

Astra instantly reached out for one. She paused before picking one up, giving the Doctor a look. Examining the charging device, the blonde gave her a nod. 

"Not very '50s," Ryan called uselessly. Like grandfather like grandson. Genetics be damned. 

Astra put the cylinder device back. The Doctor looked over the other one. "I knew it." She moved to sit on her ankles. "See, now there's a problem. We're not the only ones in Montgomery who don't belong here."