Consequences

Chapter 2

The bell rang and students filled the hallway

The bell rang and students filled the hallway. Avril hated being cramped so when Nate found her a short cut out of the school she was very thankful.

She walked until she reached his car trying to get there quickly so he wouldn't be mad. When she got there he was talking with some of his friends leaning on his car. She saw Maddy and her friends put off to the side but they were far and she couldn't hear them. She walked up to him standing directly next to him avoiding everyone's gaze she hated large crowds. "Um hi guys." She didn't want to be rude so she greeted them. Looking up at Nate he turned his head and gave her a peck on the lips. She could tell he was mad she could always tell.

"Where are you car keys?" He asked. She pulled out her keys. They were always attached to her wallet.

He took her keys and clipped her wallet off handing it to her. She looked at him with furrowed brows. "Trevor is gonna take your car home." He left no room for argument. "Don't touch any of my girl's shit while your in there alright?" He tossed him the keys. "If anything's missing I'll kill you."

Her car was a small one compared to Nate's they were always parked right next to each other everyone stayed clear from the two spaces. "Get in the car babe." He said calmly. She knew he was about to blow like a bomb. She wondered what she had done to make him so mad this time.

She got into the car without a second thought.

Maddy scoffed. "She's like a fucking pet." Lexi shook her head. "It's not her it's Nate she has too much trust in him that's why she doesn't say anything when he hurts her."

"He doesn't hurt her." Cassie interrupted. Lexi looked at her as if she was crazy. "I knew you were an idiot." Cassie rolled her eyes. "Wait why are we even talking about her?"

"Nobody asked you guys for your commentary I was just stating the truth. She's like a pet." Maddy said shrugging her shoulders. "Not even I could get through Nate and look at me." She gestured to herself rolling her eyes and getting into the car. The girls rolled their eyes getting into the car.

"I left my charger in my car." I told Nate as he got inside. "It'll be there tomorrow." He said. "Not my phone charger my laptop I have an assignment to do and then I have to-"

"Av your always working you can take a break and we need to talk." He says shutting her down. "Are you mad at me?" She asked.

"Did you do something to make me mad?" She shook her head. "Are you sure? And what did I say?"

"Not to nod when your speaking to me."

"You know you did that twice today right?" She was about to nod when she held back. "Yes sorry."

"Why the hell are you hanging around Rue?" He asked. "I drove her to school this morning." She replied looking out the window. "Why are you taking her to school? Look at me i'm talking to you."

"I don't know I saw her yesterday night and I noticed she got back so when I saw her this morning I offered her a ride no big deal." She started to play with her fingers not daring to pull out her phone when it rang.

"I want you to stop hanging around her." He said. "She's my friend." Avril said. "Find other friends leave those two alone." He said sternly. "I like hanging out with her i think she's cool."

"She's also a drug addict. You don't need her in your life."

"She went to rehab." Avril said. "Then why was she buying off of Fez when she just got back?" Avril stayed quiet. She hadn't ever done heavy drugs but she knew Nate bought shit off Fez. The only thing her body inhaled was food. At parties she occasionally did weed but that was it Nate would kill her if she ever tried anything else.

"How do you know she was buying drugs? Did you see her? What if she was just saying hi?" She said defending her.

"You don't go to a drug dealer to say hi." He said. "Why were you there then?"Avril asked. "We're not talking about me I'm telling you that your not going to hang around her anymore or her weird friend."

"Well I'm going to."

Nate kept quiet he was seething. "If your gonna be like that then don't come to me when you have an overdose." He said. Tears started to form in her eyes at his harsh tone. "I don't take any drugs Nate."

"You don't now but you're going to if you start hanging out with her."

"I don't want to fight." She said looking back down. "We are not fighting I'm telling you how it is. You think she won't abandon you? That's what they all do. She hangs around Fez and that girl. She doesn't give a shit about you."

Tears rolled down her face. "How do you know?"

"Baby I'm telling you how it is, she doesn't care she gonna use you then she'll drop you." He said. "Have I ever lied to you?" He pulled the car over. She shook her head fiddling with her hands. "I just thought- never mind."

"You thought she cared about you?" He scoffed a laugh. "She doesn't give a shit about anyone, baby you don't need any stress on yourself this year. We're graduating and we're gonna get outta here. Come here."

Avril took her seatbelt off. And climbed over to Nate. She sat herself on his lap. He started to wipe her tears. "You know I love you right?" She nodded but her tears kept streaming.

"Don't start the waterworks baby." He kissed her forehead. "Come on give me a smile." He put his hands on her face. She gave him a weak smile. "Come on baby bigger." She started but gave up because she was still crying.

"Av chill. Don't piss me off with your crying." He lightly tapped her face as if he was waking her up instead of wiping her tears. "I'm sorry." She said. "I know baby i'm just taking care of you know i'll always protect you." He had protected her maybe that's why she didn't want to leave, he was her 'safe space'.

Before she knew it he was kissing her. "I love you." He muttered. "I love you." And she did, no matter how many people tried to convince her otherwise she knew they knew but she knew they didn't know everything because if they did they would leave her alone. That's what she wanted she wanted to be alone with the one person she felt like she could trust. It didn't matter that he hurt her he only did it when he was angry with her. She'd learn to stop making him angry. Even if it meant losing her new friends.