Chapter Nine: Practicing Friendship

It had been three days since Amara had agreed to join the elves, and things had hardly changed from when she had been their prisoner. She still rarely spoke to them, and when she did her words were tight and stilted. She had called back her horse Kai when she decided that she was going to stay. He had come storming through the trees, smoke billowing from his nostrils. The soldiers had scattered as he'd galloped through the camp, the other horses whinnying, anxiously pawing at the earth. Thorindir had yelled for Amara to calm her massive steed before he sent the others into a panic.

Amara smirked to herself. Kai was three hands taller than even the elf general's white stallion. Smoke billowed from his nostrils, and flames would dance at his feet when he became agitated, causing the other horses to give him a wide berth. All except for the elf princess and her little sorrel. Even now Amara and Kai rode next to her. Earwen called the animal Boreas, and he was so much smaller than Kai that the two girls became the same height when sitting astride their mounts.

Amara studied Earwen. Sun dappled the path, and whenever the sun's rays found the elf princess, she'd lift her face up, letting the light shine on her soft features. Amara wished she could feel the same sense of peace she saw in the young elf's expression.

Earwen sensed Amara's gaze and turned her head, giving her a friendly smile. Amara gave a curt nod in return and looked away. The elf girl sighed. Amara could feel her disappointment.

"So," the elf princess said. "How did you learn to fight so well?"

Amara did not turn her head. "My father taught me some things, but most of my skills I learned from a man named Faleon."

"Is he an assassin too?" Earwen asked.

"He is many things," Amara replied.

"How did you meet him?"

"He rescued me from prison," she said, tone still flat.

"Why? And why were you in prison?"

"Must you ask so many questions?" Amara snapped, glaring at the elf girl.

Earwen's face flushed with embarrassment. "I'm sorry," she stammered. "I didn't mean to pry. It's just that I've always wanted to learn how to fight." She reached down and stroked her horse's neck absently, her forehead creased in distress.

Frowning, Amara bit her lip. The young princess had looked hurt when Amara had yelled at her. She never felt shame for her sharp words, but when she had seen the flash of sorrow in Earwen's green eyes, her heart had twisted in remorse.

Steeling herself, she spoke quickly. "I could teach you if you wanted."

Earwen's head snapped up, and she searched Amara's face. "Would you really?"

Amara, thinking she had been too kind, kept her face stony. "Yes, but on my terms, and you better listen. I don't fancy wasting time on someone who doesn't appreciate my teaching."

"Of course." Earwen nodded vigorously, now grinning ear to ear. "I want to learn to scale buildings and things like that too." She was leaning toward Amara now, eyes dancing. To the lost princess's surprise, a smile pulled at her own lips. Earwen's effervescent personality was infectious.

"Can we start today?" Earwen asked.

Amara raised a brow at her enthusiasm. "I suppose I can teach you a few things after the noon meal."

Earwen beamed and began to hum, swinging her legs, causing her horse to jig. Laughter floated through the air, and Amara allowed herself a small smile.

Later that day the two girls strolled a little bit away from the campsite. Thorindir eyed Amara suspiciously. Despite the encounter with the ulund, he still did not trust her. Amara did not care; she did her best to ignore and avoid him. Turning her attention to Earwen, she took a knife from the vest she wore and stared at the young princess. Then, in one fluid motion, she turned and threw the knife, embedding it to the hilt in a tree a few yards away. Earwen blinked and stepped back in surprise.