Chapter Forty: The Rescue

Faleon watched as Thorindir paced back and forth on the crest of a hill an hour's ride away from the entrance of the goblins' lair. Earwen sat next to Faleon, anxiously twisting the hem of her blouse.

"You are going to alert them to our presence if you keep scattering rocks about," Faleon said.

Thorindir stopped pacing and glared at him. "How can you be so calm? We've lost half of our party. Two are out wandering in the forest being chased by hordes of goblins, and the other is captured and locked away in the mountain!"

Faleon raised his brows in surprise at Thorindir's angry and panicked tone. "Well, in the first place, one of the two who are 'lost,' as you say, is Amara. If you know her at all, I can't fathom why you would be worried about them. They will escape the goblins and find us again."

"And Eramire? What fate do you predict for her? It's been since yesterday. How long do you suppose they will keep her alive?" Thorindir asked, his body tensed as he stared down the hillside.

"I don't know, but a three-person rescue mission will not serve us well."

"It is the only choice we have!" the elf man raged. "We cannot just keep sitting here."

"Thorindir, please," Earwen said, standing and touching his shoulder to still his pacing. She led him away from the hillside to sit by her.

Faleon found the elf general's relationship with the elf sisters increasingly interesting. It was obvious they were very close. Earwen seemed to know him best. All she had to do was smile, say a few words, and his tense attitude would dissipate. Queen Eramire, however, seemed to be a source of sorrow for the elf man. Though he tried to hide it, Faleon did not miss the wistful glances he cast in the pretty elf's direction. It was obvious they had a romantic past that must not have ended well.

He thought of the captured young woman. She was important to their quest and could not be left behind. He clapped his hands on his knees and stood. "Well, I suppose I shall have to go in and get her."

Earwen looked at him in alarm, and Thorindir jumped to his feet. "And how are we going to manage such a feat?"

Faleon smirked and shook his head. "Sorry, my good man, but I'm afraid I will have to accomplish it on my own."

Earwen jumped up as well and came to stand before him. He took the chance to study her face. She was pretty, but not typically so. Her face was awash with freckles, her green eyes luminous—almost too big for her face. And yet there was something about her he couldn't place. When she looked into his eyes, he could not guess what she was thinking. And this vexed him greatly.

"You can't expect us to stand by and watch you go without us. That's my sister down there!" she said, tone full of distress.

He smiled, cupping her chin. "Sorry, sweetheart."

She glared balefully at him, jerking her face away. Thorindir stepped forward, and Faleon couldn't tell if his anger was because Faleon had dared touch the young princess or because he planned to save Eramire single-handedly.

"How on earth are you going to save her?" Thorindir asked tersely. "You can't just go waltzing in there."

Faleon grinned at the elf man. "Of course I can."

"What?" Earwen exclaimed.

"My darling," Faleon crooned. "Have you forgotten? I am one of Goroth's most valued spies." He winked at the two, leaving them wondering if he was joking.

"How are you going to cover up that you rescued her?" Thorindir's voice was untrusting, but he was desperate to have the elf queen saved.

"I am afraid a good spy never gives up all his information. Leaves no room for bargaining when one is 'accidentally' caught, but rest assured"—he patted Thorindir's shoulder robustly, and the elf man's eyes darkened even more—"I will get her out safely."

"If anything happens to her, you will regret it," Thorindir said tone threatening.

Faleon gave him a bemused look. "I'll be back shortly." He mounted his horse and began riding down the hillside. "There's something I've been meaning to pick up in the mines anyway." He cast the comment over his shoulder, leaving the two elves befuddled as they watched him ride away.

***

Faleon came to the entrance of the goblin's lair. He held the reins of his horse looped in his hand. He hated to sacrifice the animal, but he needed to gain entrance, and goblins were always more helpful when rewarded rather than intimidated.

He looked at the tall wooden door. It was carved with ancient words: "Those who enter reject the light and pledge themselves to the darkness that lives within the mountain." He raised his hand and clasped the brass ring. He knocked loudly, and the sound echoed through the mountain. In a few moments, the door was jerked open, and a large goblin with a wicked-looking blade in his hand opened the door. His milky eyes squinted in the natural light, and he shrank back, fearful of the sun.

"Faleon." The creature bowed clumsily in surprise when he recognized the man. "We were not expecting you."

Faleon spoke with authority. "I have come to find myself in need of my steed," he replied, waggling the horse's reins.

The goblin licked its lips greedily, studying the horse.

"I am sure you will take good care of my friend here."

The goblin chuckled gleefully. He reached out to take the reins, and Faleon relinquished them.

"One more thing." He stopped the goblin before it entered the mountain.

"Yes, sir?"

"I believe you have come into possession of an elven queen."

Thank you so much for reading!

Please vote and comment if you are enjoying the story. :)