Chapter Thirty-Six: The Man with the Silver Eyes pt. 2

***

They had traveled only half a day's journey from Celeblas when Eramire found herself staring, surprised at a strange man standing before her. He had seemed to simply appear. Earwen had jumped to her feet quickly, notching an arrow in her bow.

"Thorindir!" Earwen shouted, her voice tense, and Eramire noticed the slight tremor in her hands. The elf queen returned her gaze to the stranger. His coloring was darker, like Amara's, and he wore clothes very similar to the ones Amara had worn the night she had tried to steal from them—assassin garb. Alarm began to build in Eramire, but she still did not stand from where she sat on a small stump near the fire.

"I mean you no harm," the man said, raising his hands. Knives showed at his waist and were slung across his chest.

"Excuse me if I don't quite believe you," Earwen replied, still training her bow on his chest.

Eramire studied him closer as the standoff continued. Earwen called again for Thorindir.

The man's dark hair was cropped short. He was tall but slender and exuded a confidence bordering on arrogance. His eyes were silver and sharp like a bird of prey, and that was how Eramire felt as he gazed at her—he the predator and she the prey. Noticing her quick assessment, he smirked and let his eyes travel slowly over her.

"Well, Amara said she had some new friends," he said. "But she failed to mention how beautiful they were."

Earwen frowned at his words and looked the man up and down more critically. She lowered her bow. "You're Faleon," the elf princess stated, looking disturbed.

The man smiled and bowed elegantly. "Ah, I see our dear friend has already warned you about me," he said. "Believe nothing you hear. I may look like a miscreant, but I assure you I am a gentleman by trade."

Earwen's eyes narrowed, but Eramire spoke.

"We are pleased to meet you."

Before she could say more, Thorindir and Nauro came bursting into camp, swords drawn. They quickly noticed Faleon.

"Is everyone all right?" Thorindir asked as he moved between the sisters and the newcomer.

"Yes," Eramire responded calmly. "Everything is fine."

"Who are you?" Thorindir barked at the man.

"Charming, aren't you?" Faleon said with a smirk.

"Thorindir," Eramire said, tone patient. "This is Faleon, the man who saved Amara from prison."

Amara stepped from the underbrush just then, her eyes locking on Faleon. The two stared at each other for several moments in a seemingly silent conversation.

"You have impeccable timing" was all she said.

"I always have," Faleon replied.

Silence hung in the air once more.

"Shall we sit and discuss why you are here, Faleon?" Eramire suggested.

The man's eyes did not leave Amara as he answered. "Yes, I believe that would be an excellent idea," he replied, and moved toward the fire to sit.

Nauro and Thorindir shared a glance and sheathed their weapons. Once everyone was sitting, Eramire cleared her throat, searching for words to say.

"What are you doing here?" Amara said.

Everyone looked at Amara, and Eramire was surprised by the coldness in her voice. Wasn't this the man who'd rescued her?

Faleon smiled at Amara genially. "I told you that if your efforts proved fruitful, I would return."

Amara's nostrils flared in an obvious struggle for patience. "I do recall, but may I ask how you have been informed of my progress?"

Faleon's silver eyes glittered wolfishly. "I have many friends in many kingdoms."

Thorindir looked at the man with growing suspicion. "I don't recall ever seeing you in Celeblas."

Faleon studied the elf general. A calculated glint flickered in his eyes. "Perhaps if you held a higher rank, you would have."

Eramire frowned at the odd statement and looked between the two men. Thorindir had gone strangely pale for a moment before anger replaced whatever emotion had been there.

"I don't appreciate spies flitting through my kingdom."

Faleon laughed loudly. "Your kingdom, is it?"

Again the strain showed on the elf general's face.

"Faleon." Amara snapped the dark man's focus back to herself. "What exactly do you know about our progress?"

"I know you are going to the Carnelian Mountains to the kingdom of Taiman in search of a book your grandfather wrote—a book your father asked you to retrieve from King Olphan before he died. And that it supposedly contains all the information your dear father never got to teach you about the moonstones."

The silence was so heavy around the fire that Eramire could almost see it as a visual thing. Fear coursed through her, and she could see it on everyone's faces.

"How do you know all these things?" Thorindir said through his teeth. "Who would dare share so much information openly?"

Faleon seemed exceedingly pleased with himself. "Does it really matter?" He spread his hands, palms upward. "What matters is that I am here to help, for without me you'll never get past the gates of Taiman."

"We don't want or need your help," Amara said.

Faleon's expression was grimly amused. "I am afraid you are very wrong, my dear. You need my help desperately. You see, the elves may have failed to tell you the real reason the Sanarian Council refused its support." Faleon seemed to savor the attention he was receiving as the group waited for him to continue. "Not very many years ago, the Great Library was attacked. Now of course it's not known how, or by whom, but everyone knows Taiman thinks Celeblas is to blame."

Thorindir leapt to his feet. "Celeblas would never try to sabotage such a precious and valuable place as the library. The people of Taiman have always envied the fair folk for our superior longevity. Every tragedy that has befallen them for centuries has been blamed on the elves."

Nodding, Faleon took one of the knives from his belt and nonchalantly began to clean his fingernails.

"Yes. This, of course, is just as true. But tell me, General. Regardless of who sabotaged the library, the Taimanians still blame your lot. Would it not be prudent to have someone who they trust to plead your case for entry into the great cliff city?"

Eramire watched Thorindir wrestle with the question.

"We would be honored to have you join our quest, Faleon," Eramire said. She did not meet the others' eyes as a stunned silence followed her words. "I am sure you will be a valuable ally for the many trials we will face."

Faleon nodded, his expression smug with satisfaction. Eramire caught Amara's eye, and she could see the lost princess's despair. She could almost hear the young woman shouting that she was making a terrible mistake.

Thank you so much for reading!

Please comment and vote if you are enjoying the story. :)

***** Faleon is back! What do yo guys think about him joining the company?