Chapter Eighteen: Joining Civilization

Thorindir stood by his chair, awaiting the women to enter the dining room. The king and queen sat at the heads of the long table. Nauro was standing across from him, waiting at attention as well. The young soldier shifted impatiently.

The doors of the dining room opened, and Earwen and Eramire entered. The women that had arrived two days ago contrasted startlingly with the women who stood before them now. Thorindir smiled with pride; both of them were washed clean of the remnants of their journey, looking well rested and content. Eramire had braided her hair around her head in a crown and placed a silver circlet on her head. Earwen's hair was done in a similar fashion, though she had decided not to wear even the simplest of crowns. Amara stepped in behind them, and the elf general was surprised to see her dressed in less-than-ladylike clothes. She wore a white blouse with long, puffed sleeves and a leather vest, as well as trousers and knee-high boots, as if she were about to go riding or to a training session. He wondered why she had passed up the frocks he knew she had been offered in favor of simple riding clothes. She did, however, look to be nearly recovered from her excess use of magic. Her face was once again bronze and no longer pale. But her eyes were as restless as ever in their golden depths. He wondered if she ever found solace, or if she was haunted even in unconsciousness by whatever secrets she clung to so desperately.

As the women moved around the table, Thorindir moved forward and pulled out Eramire's chair for her. He felt Queen Kallah's gaze boring into him. He glanced up and met her scornful stare, but the queen said nothing. Nauro followed Thorindir's example and pulled out Earwen's chair. He sat next to the elf princess, giving her a winning smile. She returned it, not noticing the way he blushed when she looked away.

Thorindir rolled his eyes at the green soldier and moved to pull out Amara's chair. She glared at him for a moment, and they stood before one another as a silent battle ensued. Finally the defiant young woman sat and allowed Thorindir this small victory. He took no pride in it. The war had only just begun between them, he was sure.

"We have been anxiously awaiting your arrival, Your Highnesses," King Olphan spoke. "And we are very happy that you found the Lady Amara on your way."

"We are also very sad that your escort here was lessened by so many," stated Queen Kallah. Her words were measured, but Thorindir could see the bite in them did not go unnoticed by the Calathil princess. Amara's eyes narrowed, and it was obvious she wondered at the queen's veiled hostility. The king, however, appeared unruffled by his wife's bad temper and seemed to focus his attention only on the elf general. Thorindir met the monarch's gaze evenly and carefully raised a brow in question.

"How is it that you came upon the Lady Amara?" Queen Kallah said, her sharp eyes turning on the woman.

"We met her as we left Gaearost. She was staying in one of the flats in the city, hiding from Goroth for obvious reasons. She has been posing as a shopkeeper," Earwen lied easily.

Thorindir could not help but smirk at the outrageousness of the fabrication. Nauro glanced at him in confusion. The elf general gave him a scathing glare, and the soldier adjusted his face. The king had noticed and gave Thorindir a questioning look, but Thorindir barely brushed the king's eyes with his own as Eramire began to speak.

"Amara also has some insight into the inner workings of Goroth's rule in Calathil," she continued for her sister, seemingly unsurprised by Earwen's quick ability to lie.

"And how would that be?" Kallah inquired, seeming all too eager to do battle with the younger queen.

"I was held captive by Goroth for nearly two years," Amara interjected, voice harsh and cold, clattering through the room like a cup dropped carelessly on the floor.