Chapter Sixty-Two: Blackmail

Eramire paced a room in the palace, awaiting the king. What should she say? How did one go about accusing the ruler of a kingdom of lying? She wrung her hands; after the argument with her sister and Thorindir this morning, her nerves were completely shot. She could hardly keep from bursting into tears.

The door opened, and she whirled toward it. "Your Majes—" Disappointment filled her. "General Gideon, I was expecting the king."

The man gave her a half smile. "Yes, my lady. Unfortunately, the king has refused you an audience."

The elf queen was dumbfounded. "But I need to discuss some important matters with him."

Gideon looked apologetic. "I am sorry. I tried to tell him, but he said he will not speak to you until after the Cadmus Circuits have been run."

Eramire gaped. "But the races won't start for nearly a week. I can't afford to waste so much time." She resumed her pacing.

"I apologize again, Your Majesty. It is unfortunate that you have arrived at such a busy time."

The elf queen turned toward the general. She could see the guilt in his dark eyes. "The king has no intention of speaking with me, even after the races, does he?"

"Time may change his decision."

Eramire sat on a nearby chair. She fought the hopeless feeling filling her. "Do you really believe that?" she asked.

The great man came over to her and placed a heavy hand on her shoulder. "We don't have any other option. I will continue to advocate for you, but I won't make any promises."

She stood. "I just don't know if it will be enough. I am getting desperate."

Gideon was strangely silent. Eramire suddenly noticed how he clasped and unclasped his hands and shifted his weight from one foot to the other. It was unusual for the man to be restless.

"Gideon," she said, "is there something else I should know? Something else that is keeping Alistair from allowing us entrance to the library?"

The Taiman general's expression was grim. "I am afraid so," replied the man.

Eramire frowned and settled into a chair, gesturing for Gideon to sit as well. "Tell me, then."

Gideon looked over his shoulder at the door, and again Eramire was struck by how uncharacteristic it was that he do this. Turning back, the general leaned closer, and she leaned forward as well.

"The king and our kingdom are being threatened."

Eramire shook her head. "I don't understand. What is the king being threatened with? And by whom?"

Gideon shook his head. "His Majesty would only tell me that if he helped you and your companions, he would be sentencing the whole city to its ruin."

Eramire felt herself fill with disappointment. If Alistair really believed whoever had threatened him could overcome Taiman, he would never disobey. There was also the matter of the "monster" trapped in the library, whose existence no one seemed able to confirm.

"What are we going to do?" Eramire asked, woefully rubbing her temples.

Gideon clasped and unclasped his hands thoughtfully. "I don't know. I need to get Alistair to tell me who the man is. Maybe then we can flush him out."

"Why is he so afraid to tell you?"

Gideon shrugged. "I don't know. He acted like the man could hear through walls. Or read minds. Like somehow he would just know."