Chapter Forty-One: Kidnapped

Amara stumbled through the thick underbrush, slashing at the thick brambles that stretched in all directions. Kai followed behind, grunting and snorting right along with the lost princess as stickers and thorns caught in his mane and fur. Nauro followed more reluctantly, his horse's reins clutched in one hand. Luckily Kai was of substantial size and made it easier for the elf and the smaller horse to follow through the thicket.

"Uh, Your Highness?" Nauro called up, hesitant to interrupt the young woman when she was in such a fury.

No reply. Just the continued slashing and grunting.

"Your Highness!" he called again. "Where are we going?"

"We," Amara rasped, not pausing in her frenzied hacking, "are going to get out of this thicket and find our party."

"But we don't even know where they are, much less where we are. What if they were captured by the goblins?"

Amara's wild chopping ceased. She appeared, looking around her great horse's shoulder. "Then we will find them and save them." Her golden eyes smoldered, making his hair stand on end. She always put out the feeling that she could make the air spontaneously combust. As the woman turned away from him, she added, "But if I know Faleon, they escaped just fine."

"You trust him?" Nauro asked, indignant.

Once again all was silent. Nauro felt an uncomfortable feeling in the pit of his stomach.

Suddenly Amara bounded over Kai's back and landed nose to nose with the elf man. "I didn't say I trusted him," Amara growled. "I said I know him."

"Oh well, thanks for the reassurance," Nauro scoffed.

"What would you have us do?" Amara asked.

Nauro opened his mouth, then closed it.

"That's what I thought," she said. She stepped even closer, poking him forcibly in the chest. "Now, I will not be back talked to by a barely wet-behind-the-ears soldier."

Nauro's face reddened in anger at the insult. He opened his mouth to retaliate, but Amara cut him off. "Keep your mouth shut. I have seen things—done things—you could only imagine in nightmares. I swear to you, if you get in my way or slow me down, I will not hesitate to leave you behind or worse."

Nauro blinked and swallowed. He remained silent, the lost princess's threatening words dancing in the air. As she had spoken, her eyes had glowed, and flames had flickered around her like a visible aura. He had felt his skin grow hot, as if he stood before a roaring fire.

Just like that the flames were gone. Her eyes cooled, and she bounded back over her horse and began swiping her way through the bushes. Nauro shook his head and followed in silence, wondering how many more conflicts they would have to endure before finding their friends—and if he would survive the ordeal.

***

Amara fumed as she slashed her sword at the branches. Her knives were becoming dull from the hours of abuse. Sweat dripped down her face.

"Agh!" She screamed and stabbed one of her swords into the nearest tree. It shuddered strangely, but she was too tired to pay much attention.

"Your Highness," Nauro called. "Why are we stopping?"

Amara didn't bother to answer. They had been traipsing through this copse for hours. The branches were especially peculiar. Sometimes she came to places so thick she couldn't hack her way through. It was almost as if they were steering her.

She went rigid. She looked up at her knife in the tree. The last thing she remembered was the pale, blue-tinted face of a man reflected in the blade. Then everything went black.