Chapter Sixty-Eight: Earwen's Capture

Earwen, completely unaware of what was happening with the others, still sat comfortably at Feredir's parents' kitchen table. Tristan and Freya were some of the sweetest people she had met in Taiman. Feredir seemed a perfect blend of his parents, and they all got along well. Only someone who knew the story of Rowan would notice the slight sadness that clung to the home. Rowan's death was still in the back of their minds. She tried to imagine the extra member of the family. A younger, even more jovial version of Feredir. She did not find this difficult.

"How long will you be staying, Earwen?" Freya asked as she ladled more thick stew into everyone's bowls.

"Not very long. I just wanted some time to adjust to the things that have happened." Earwen's answer was vague, she knew. But Feredir's mother nodded knowingly.

"Well, don't think you aren't welcome. We don't mind having you at all."

"You are very kind. But I am sure the rest of my companions will be ready to leave as soon as we have what we came for."

"And just what is it you came for—" The end of Freya's question was cut off as a loud, banging knock echoed through the house.

Tristan frowned, and he and Feredir went to the door. Earwen immediately felt ill at ease, and she stood as a gruff voice shouted at the door,

"We are here for the elf princess!"

"She isn't here," Feredir retorted quickly.

"Now, don't try and lie. Brecker told us here was the most likely place to find her."

"What do you want with the elf girl?"

"Her friends have just been discovered breaking into the library, and they have murdered General Gideon."

Earwen started in alarm at the last sentence.

Freya was immediately at her side, tugging her toward the back of the house. "Come," the older woman whispered.

"But—"

"Either let us in or we will arrest all of you for aiding the escape of a criminal."

"You have no proof she was involved in any of this!" Feredir shouted.

Freya tugged again at Earwen, but the elf princess pulled away and arrived at the front door just as the soldiers drew their swords.

"I will go with you without argument. Please, just do not hurt these people."

The soldier leading the group was familiar to her. He had been in the first meeting she'd attended and had been friends with General Gideon. She could see the hatred and grief in his eyes.

"Earwen, no," Feredir said.

She looked at him and gave him a half smile. "I am sure this is all a misunderstanding. It will be okay," she said gently, placing a hand on his arm.

She allowed herself to be shackled while Feredir and his family looked on. And as they led her away, Feredir stepped forward, a hand on his ax.

"Earwen."

She shook her head and turned away. The patrol surrounded her and began leading her away. The chains clinked heavily on her wrists. What would her fate be now?

Soon the buildings fell away to boulders. And then she saw Alistair standing with a squad of mounted gryphons. His eyes were so dark; so full of black fury were they that Earwen winced.

"We found her, my lord."

Alistair said nothing as he came forward and grabbed the chains that bound her. He jerked her forward, and this was when Earwen caught sight of her sister and Faleon. They stood beside Tokka. The great silver fire drake looked indifferently at the snarling gryphons straining at their reins. Alistair pushed Earwen to her knees, and she could see the fear in her sister's eyes. Faleon looked as indifferent as his drake. The Taimanian king placed a knife at her throat as Thorindir and Amara arrived.