Chapter Thirty-Four: I Love You pt.1

Eramire sat stunned. "Taiman," she thought mournfully. She had heard little of the kingdom except that it was far away in the mountains and its people were wild, with strange origins. And that was where their quest would lead them. More traveling. More unknowns. Thorindir sat next to her, quietly allowing her to process his news. She could see by his expression he was just as disturbed by the development.

"Why did she do it, do you think?" she asked absently, looking back at the castle. "Queen Kallah, I mean."

"I knew what you meant," the elf man said tersely.

Eramire studied his sour expression.

"The queen is very temperamental and well known for her mistrust of the other kingdoms. It would suit her to act rashly under the guise of protecting Celeblas."

The younger queen was surprised to hear Thorindir speak so poorly of his ruler. He was usually very proper and respectful. Yes, Kallah's actions had complicated things, but it seemed the elf general was taking it almost as if she had personally attacked him.

"The king wants us to refrain from exposing her to the council."

This surprised Eramire even more.

"Why?"

Thorindir stood and paced a few steps away.

"The council practically runs the kingdom now, if Queen Kallah is exposed and they unseat her...well then the king will be of no use to us, and he's the only one who seems to be on our side. He has to maintain what little control he still wields over the people."

"So we must lie?" Eramire bit her lip in worry. It would seem lying was something she would have to become very good at. There was a moment of silence and she could feel Thorindir looking at her. Suddenly he clapped his hands together.

"Let's go into town," he said with sudden determination.

She looked up, surprised by the suggestion. "Into town?"

"Yes." He reached out, pulling her to her feet. "You haven't seen any of the kingdom since you've arrived. Let us go forget our troubles for just a few hours."

Considering the prospect, Eramire smiled and nodded, allowing the general to pull her arm through his and lead her toward town.

***

Thorindir wove through the streets, Eramire beside him. He desperately needed to get away from the castle. He had not spent so much time in it since before he'd abdicated his throne. He missed being with the people. He missed his cottage on the outskirts and sitting in the bar with his men.

Music swelled up the street, and they came upon a group of people dancing in the square. It seemed everyone was dancing. Young lovers. Married couples. Fathers and daughters, siblings. Thorindir laughed in spite of himself. Caught up in the merriment, he forgot his troubles. He turned to Eramire, seizing the opportunity to distract her as well. She loved to dance, and he would see that she did.

"A dance if you please, Your Majesty," he teased.

Eramire's eyes were full of adoration for her friend who knew her so well. He led her around the dance floor until both were breathless.

"I must take a break," the young queen stated, fanning her flushed face.

Thorindir nodded in agreement and led her away from the dancers. He bought them both a drink from a booth not far away, and they reclined in the grass to watch the others.

"I don't remember the last time I had so much fun," Eramire said, her eyes full of blissful happiness.

Thorindir handed her the drink and said, "You are so busy running a kingdom you have forgotten how."

Eramire nodded, sipping from the cup. "Yes. I believe when I go back, I will have to change some things."

Thorindir's heart ached at her words. Would she really leave so easily?

Eramire realized what she had said and looked into Thorindir's matching blue eyes. "Oh, Thorindir—you did not think I could possibly stay?"

Thorindir could not hold back. He cupped Eramire's cheek. "I never lost hope that you would one day return to me."

Pain laced Eramire's face. She opened her mouth to speak, but Thorindir stopped her flow of words with a light and gentle kiss.

Eramire drew back with a soft gasp. "Thorindir, I cannot abandon my people," she said, withdrawing, answering his unspoken question.

Thorindir looked away, trying to hide the disappointment in his face at the determination in hers.

She laid her hand on his shoulder. "No more than you could leave yours."

"I know" was all he said, guilt tearing at his stomach. They sat in silence, watching the dancers.

"Thorindir, I had to leave."

The elf soldier felt like a weight was lying on his chest. "You chose to leave." He looked at her and felt hot determination run through him. "I will never give up on you, Eramire."

It hurt him to see that his words wounded her. He knew how much she wished he would let her go.

As they walked back in silence, Thorindir studied the young queen. Would it make a difference if he told her the truth of who he was? Would she see a choice after telling her of his own? Or would she think him selfish and cowardly?

And what of Earwen? How would the truth influence her? His heart sank at Eramire's tense posture as she walked. The space between them now made him ache with loneliness. His father was right; he should tell them the truth. But he couldn't. What if they never forgave him?

Thank you so much for reading!

Please vote and comment in you are enjoying the story :)