Chapter Fifty-Two: Sightseeing

Earwen felt dizzy as Feredir pulled her down countless streets. They wove up and down narrow staircases as her guide pointed at various buildings, many unremarkable to her. She began to understand the reasoning behind the cookie-cutter architecture of every house. If the city was attacked, the enemy would have no idea whether they were storming a residence or a barracks. It was quite clever.

Eventually they came to a larger building that was different from the rest. It had thousands of windows. Birds gathered within, flitting here and there. Feredir guided her in the door, and Earwen felt as if she would be deafened by the screeching that filled the hollow structure. Innumerable feathered creatures swirled and dove through the air, alighting on favored perches and twittering loudly when finding them already occupied. Earwen watched Feredir scan the air with keen eyes until he found the particular bird he searched for and pursed his lips, making a soft whistling sound. A small bird dropped out of the air and perched on the blond man's shoulder. It was a kestrel, petite with an orange-and-white chest, brown spots, and blue wings and back. Earwen felt a smile spread over her face as the little bird shrieked and nibbled Feredir's ear and was rewarded with a piece of dried meat from a pocket.

"She's darling," Earwen cooed.

The little bird, having devoured his treat, cocked his head to one side and bobbed up and down, chattering loudly.

Feredir chuckled. "He," the young man corrected, and the kestrel flapped his wings as if to emphasize the words. "This is Tint."

The bird warbled and hopped into the air, perching on Earwen's shoulder. She struggled not to squirm as the bird's sharp talons pricked her skin. She turned her head and leaned back, trying to better see the creature. Tint seemed just as interested in studying her. He scooted closer, inspecting her features with sharp eyes.

"Hello, Tint," she said warmly.

The bird, satisfied with his inspection, chirped and nuzzled her cheek.

Earwen giggled as the kestrel's feathers tickled her face. She brought up her hand and stroked the bird. Tint let out an indignant noise and returned to Feredir's shoulder. Earwen couldn't help but feel a swell of disappointment.

Feredir was quick to alleviate it. "Don't worry. Tint doesn't let anyone pet him. Just doesn't like it. Kind of a cretin, really."

The bird seemed to know he was being insulted and bit Feredir's ear.

"Ouch! You little bastard!"

Feredir moved to seize the bird, who took to the air, screeching and pecking his master's head. Earwen lapsed into giggles at the amusing spectacle and was delighted when Tint returned to her shoulder, eyeing Feredir warily.

Feredir gave the bird a seething glare. Then a wicked smile spread over his face. "Well, it seems he likes you. You can have the little bugger."

Earwen looked at the young man, surprised. "Really?"

"Sure. He never liked me much anyway, and he is too small for any deliveries I might have. All he's good for is taking messages and acting as a warning scout."

Earwen turned her head again, smiling at the little bird of prey. "What do you think, Tint? Would you like to go adventuring with me?"

The little bird bobbed his head, chittering and chirping, nuzzling his new owner.

Feredir rolled his eyes. "All right, let's move on. You can leave him here or bring him if you wish."

Earwen shrugged her shoulder, and Tint chirped, digging his sharp talons into her shirt, refusing to budge.

"I guess he's coming."

They strolled back out into the staircase city, where roofs were roads and vice versa. Feredir turned and headed toward the outskirts of the city. Yawning caves stood ominous and cold, etched into the side of the mountains. Earwen felt the hair on her neck stand on end. She could feel the masses of living creatures all seeming to exhale at once from within the labyrinth of tunnels.

Finding the cave he was looking for, Feredir disappeared into one of the gaping mouths. Earwen hesitated on the edge of the black.

"You coming?" Feredir's voice echoed out of the gloom. She could tell he was smiling.

Earwen took a deep breath and stepped forward.

Thank you so much for reading :)

Please vote and comment if you are enjoying the story. :)