Chapter Fifty-Five: Darkest of the Dark

Several days after Alistair had agreed to search the library, Eramire sat in the villa next to one of the windows. She rubbed her temples. She had sent a message with Tint to Gideon asking if the king had opened the library yet. The kestrel had returned with a disappointing answer. Eramire watched the little bird hopping back and forth on the windowsill. He was an interesting pet, and she had been surprised when her sister had brought him back, saying he was a gift from a blacksmith she'd met.

She retrieved a treat for the bird, and he ate it greedily. The elf queen sighed and sat. Tint sensed her tension and turned his head. She smiled despite herself. Her sister's new pet could be quite ornery, and yet he seemed very attuned to each member of the household's feelings. He turned away, seeming to listen for a moment before taking to the skies. She watched him go and wondered what drew him away. Was it Earwen calling, or was it the freedom of flight?

Eramire felt the rise of jealousy. Where was Earwen? No doubt she was out flying in the clouds with Feredir. Carefree as always, mingling with the people while Eramire had to wait for word on whether or not she had really convinced the king to help them. Thorindir and Amara were training again today; they wouldn't be back for hours. And Faleon...

"Worrying won't help you any."

Eramire turned to see the silver-eyed man leaning against the doorway. She looked back out the window. "Perhaps not, but what else should I do?"

He laughed at her. "Pretend you're not waiting for an answer. Pretend you are a grand guest in a foreign land and experience the culture of it."

Eramire looked at him, incredulous.

He pushed off the door frame and held out a hand to her. "And the fact is, you are."

She stared, uncertain, at his hand. "Where are we going?"

Faleon rolled his eyes and took her hand. "Outside."

He pulled her up and out of the house. He released her hand as they strolled down the street. Eramire looked around at the buildings and realized she hadn't noticed how beautiful they were. The sun was bright, and a soft breeze was blowing. They walked down, deeper into the city. Sometimes the stairs were very steep, and Faleon's hand would again slip into hers and assist her down. He didn't say much as they walked, and he allowed her to set the pace. It was an easy silence, almost as if he knew she needed this time to be quiet and enjoy the environment.

They came to a market after some time, and Eramire looked over the booths with mild interest. She brushed the long braid over her shoulder and looked out past the cliffside back to the forests.

Faleon smirked and led her over to the edge of the courtyard. "Sit here. I'll be right back."

She watched him go. It wasn't long till he came back with a skin of water as well as bread and cheese. He handed her a cup, and she poured water for herself. He handed her bread and then pulled a dagger from his belt and carved pieces of cheese.

"So, what do you think of this city?" he asked.

Eramire took a bite of the food, stalling while she thought of her answer. "It's very different," she replied. "So busy and wild."

Faleon chuckled. He leaned back and looked down over the lowest rings of the city. "You haven't seen enough to be able to say that."

Eramire considered him. "You think I haven't ever experienced anything hard or difficult. You forget I lived many years through the Duvain. I lived through being uprooted and having to lead my people off into nothing, hoping there was a place for us. I was homeless once."