Chapter Twenty-Two: Argument in the Library

Amara tried to feign indifference as she wandered the expansive library. When Earwen invited her to come, she had almost refused, then thought of her father and agreed to join her. As soon as they arrived, Earwen immediately came to a favored section, pulled out several volumes, and settled herself in a plush-looking chair. She hadn't moved or looked up since. Amara rolled her eyes at the studious elf girl. She had once enjoyed books immensely. Her father had often read to her in Calathil's library. But these memories were now painful reminders of his absence, and she had no desire to read a single word except from the book he had sent her to find.

Amara thumbed through book after book in the castle library. She cast them aside one by one. Stacks of books lay everywhere. Hundreds of yellowing pages, filling the air with their vanilla scent. Ladders placed every so often so one could reach the higher shelves. There were many ancient volumes in this library, but not the one that Amara searched for. She knew it was foolish to think such an important book would be in the library for just anyone to read, but she felt compelled to search anyway.

"What are you looking for, Amara?" Earwen asked, standing and crossing the room to look over Amara's shoulder.

"Nothing. Just looking," Amara deflected, returning the book she was holding to the now half-empty shelf.

Earwen studied the piles of books in the aisle way. "Just making more work for the scribes, it would seem." The elf girl's tone was good natured, but Amara knew that she didn't buy her excuse for even a moment. Absently the lost princess picked up another book and began leafing through its contents.

"And just what do you think you're doing?"

Amara was surprised by the harsh voice and dropped the old book. Its pages spilled across the floor, ripped from its spine. She looked up and saw Queen Kallah.

"Your Majesty, good afternoon," Earwen said, looking startled as well, but she curtsied respectfully. Amara felt her eyes narrow instinctively against the ill-tempered queen. She said nothing and began to pick up the scattered pages. Earwen bent to help her.

Kallah took in the piles of misplaced books. "Neither of you answered my question."

"We were just reading," Earwen responded, handing the rest of the gathered pages to Amara.

The queen looked suspicious. She carefully studied the shelves and books on the floor. "It looks more like you were searching for something."

Amara did not reply and continued organizing the torn pages.

"Usually you respond when questioned by the monarch who has so graciously allowed you to remain in her kingdom," the queen of Celeblas snapped, coming forward and standing before Amara.

Amara felt her face grow hot with anger. She turned and placed the book and pages in Earwen's arms, then faced the elf queen squarely. "I am very sorry, but I see no monarch here. Only a tyrant, bullying another unfortunate victim."

"Amara!" Earwen protested.

"I could have you thrown out for such impertinence!" Kallah said, eyes blazing.

"And what a loss on my account if you did. As if I had so many reasons to stay."

"Nothing would please me more than to see you go, especially now that I've found you tearing apart precious volumes that cannot be replaced. What are you looking for, anyway?" The queen looked even more suspicious as she again studied the various books that lay strewn everywhere.

"Never mind. As usual, there is no help to be found among the elves," Amara said.

Kallah opened her mouth to retort when the door of the library swung open, and Thorindir entered. "Your Majesty, the king has called for you. He waits in the north garden..." The elf man's voice trailed off as he noticed Amara and Earwen.