Chapter Thirty-Six: The Man with the Silver Eyes pt. 1

Amara stood, her stomach in knots, at the gates of Celeblas. She glanced around at the rest of her companions. All were mounted on their horses, Nauro and Thorindir looking tense but determined. Eramire looked pale and wan, knowing she was going against the council's wishes. And Earwen was beaming, just as happy as you please, content to be on the move again. Amara would have shared her disposition if not for the strange melancholy she felt.

No one had come to see them off. Only King Olphan had stood at the entrance of the castle and wished them well. She had not missed the wistful gaze he'd cast in his son's direction. Thorindir had stood just out of earshot, not looking at his father. Amara wondered at their estrangement but pushed the curiosity away. She had her own problems to dwell on.

The king had kissed each of the girls' cheeks and wished them well. He had held Amara a moment longer, whispering in her ear, "You can always come back. This can be your home."

She had gently touched his cheek, giving him a sad smile. She turned away without responding. Better not to lift his hopes with empty promises. She had seen by his expression he understood.

And now as she stood on the edge of the elven kingdom, she was so sure she was ready to leave that her throat felt raw and dry. Tears pricked. She raised the bone whistle to her lips and blew hard. They all stood waiting. It took only a few minutes, and Amara smiled as the sound of thundering footsteps met her ears. Kai burst through the trees, whinnying joyfully.

She laughed as he trotted up and nuzzled her, nickering. "Are you ready for another journey, my friend?" she whispered. She grabbed his mane and swung up onto his back. Everyone stared, and she felt uncomfortable.

"Well," Thorindir began as he cast a glance over his shoulder. The gate had closed, vanishing once again. "Shall we go?"

"I hope it will be worth it." Eramire sighed and spurred her horse.

Thorindir fell in step beside her. Amara brought up the rear with Earwen and heard the elf princess whisper, "It will."

Thank you so much for reading!

Please vote and comment if you are enjoying the story. :)