Chapter 2: Family Dinner

April 25th, X820, Fairy Tail ~11pm

Reiki sighed and rubbed his reddened eyes.

His hands flopped onto the bed beneath him.

He opened them up and stared at the ceiling. Moonlight illuminated the blandness.

Crying from the next room echoed through the walls.

The redhead turned on his side to face the window. A moment later he turned on the other side to look at the door.

'Maybe I shouldn't have opted to stay here overnight. I didn't have time to give food supplements to my animals.'

Reiki flipped onto his back.

His chest heaved a large sigh.

He rubbed his forehead.

'I hate my memory. I hate my memory. I hate my memory.'

3.5 hours earlier

Reiki landed in front of his parents' house and stared at the crumpled piece of paper in his hands.

Ozzy needs to borrow this. I'll return it later. - Little Scales

His dark green eyes narrowed.

'Where have I heard those names before? Ozzy. Little Scales.'

Immediately he shook his head.

His wild, scarlet locks scattered all across his head.

The teenager took a deep breath and stepped forward.

'Focus on the dinner right now. Our adventure is far from over.'

His hand wavered over the knob.

'Come on, Reiki. You promised Little Rose you would join them. Now is not the time to turn back'

He gripped the brass knob.

'Turn it, Reiki! Now!'

Reiki clenched his jaw and tightened his muscles.

'I said NOW!'

He burst through the door into an open room with light-colored walls and tile flooring.

In the center of the room was a rounded, wooden table with five chairs. At each chair sat a plate, a set of silverware, a bowl, and an empty glass.

Directly to the left was a fridge, sink, countertop, and stove. Pots were boiling and steaming. Jellal stood over them, absent-mindedly stirring. His scraggly blue hair matched the wrinkled, dark tank top and dark baggy pants over bare feet.

Reiki quietly closed the door behind him and looked past the table. A set of glass doors sat where the tile changed to carpet. Beyond them, a five-seater couch sat against the left wall. A lacrima TV sat amongst a large bookshelf against the right wall. Between them was a set of bow windows that overlooked Lake Sciliora in the distance.

On the couch sat a young, redheaded girl as she looked at her lacrima phone. Reiki's bare feet quietly padded across the kitchen. He made a beeline for the glass doors.

"Hi. How are you, Reiki?" Jellal asked.

Reiki stopped and stared at his feet.

'Crap. I only made it to the midpoint of the table.'

"Hi. I'm fine," he mumbled.

"That's good. Are you hungry?" Jellal inquired.

"Umm, no not really."