Chapter 15: Promises to Keep

Time: ???

Location: ???

Objective: Be faithful

"Forgive me, Oz. I was not expecting intruders. And I thought I had sufficiently wiped the Poison Dragon Slayer's memory the first time he was there," C's altered voice echoed in the dark chamber.

Oz sat her chin on her folded hands. Her elbows were spread apart on the poorly illuminated desk.

"What...exactly...happened?" Oz asked in a silky, monotone.

"The six of them appeared all at once. Five of them being your top targets. They frightened one of the Needleworks villagers, so I summoned Hood 6 and Hood 3 to my side. I then asked Hood 6 to divide them among us due to her uncanny wind abilities. But I made the whole event an illusion. She put Reiki the Heavenly Body Mage and Calypso the Moon Mage versus herself. The Poison Dragon Slayer called Jace and the Fire Dragon Slayer called Nashi went against Hood 3. And I was against Eleodoro the Sun Mage and Crispin the Ice-Water Mage. After some engagement, the Sun Mage managed to break my illusion after he dawned special clothes. Hood 6 had set up a huge rainstorm right before I started the illusion. I figured she was going to keep it local as a backup plan for slowing down the opponents. However, she spread it over the entire territory. I didn't want to lose my reputation lest your plan would fall apart. So I let Hood 6 and 3 deal with them while I helped the villagers. The intruders teleported away just as you were halfway between Needleworks and Shirotsume."

Water dripped to the floor. Its ripples echoed across the surrounding darkness.

"C?"

"Yes, Oz?"

"Did you ask Hood 6 to alert me?"

"No. I didn't want to disturb you. Plus I thought the three of us would be able to handle it alone. My apologies if you wanted us to alert you. I will do so in the future if you wish."

"Fascinating," Oz mused, "Updates are nice. However, I trust you will alert me only when absolutely necessary. And I would prefer it is just you, C, that visits."

"Understood."

The dim lamps fought to provide more light.

"C?"

"Yes, Oz?"

"How did your illusion get broken?

"Apparently Eleodoro had knowledge of my Magic thanks to Calypso's warnings."

"How much knowledge, C?"

"He knew both the name and the mechanics."

Oz cocked her head to the side.

"There should be only six of us here on Ishgar that would know it, myself and you included."

"According to the Sun Mage, M revealed the mechanics and name of her Magic during the encounter with Calypso, Eleodoro, and Reiki the other night. As such, the Moon Mage utilized her 'favorite enchantment book' which was filled to the brim with notes. Unfortunately the title of that book was not spoken."

Oz nodded.

"The timing and the knowledge line up," she muttered.

"What exactly happened with M?" C inquired.

"I wish I knew the exact details myself. Alas, I only receive vague explanations."

"Was she tired?"

"Not in the least. She's just not as detail oriented as the rest of you. And a lot of ideas and events I would consider important barely register to her. Keep in mind she is relatively new."