Chapter 9: Firing Blanks

Time: April 26th, X820, ~noon

Location: Magnolia

Objective: Search

Asuka put a pile of clothes near a heavy duty backpack on her bed. She turned around to a dresser. She opened up a drawer and pulled out a box with an assortment of bullets. After examining the general quality, she stuffed them into the bottom of the backpack.

The young woman turned left to a wooden nightstand with a dark-shaded lacrima lamp, a lacrima alarm clock, and a family picture. She pulled out the thin drawer near the top. After sifting through the mess of items, she dug out a multi-tool gadget and a flashlight.

She stuffed the items into a side pocket and squatted to the larger cabinet in her nightstand. Afterwards, she pulled out a miniature first-aid kit and square lunchbox and added them to the backpack.

The woman scanned the room.

A single light illuminated four cabin walls with a matching dresser, gun case, and nightstand. The fluffy checkered cover lay across the queen-sized bed.

She nodded to herself.

"I think that's all," she muttered.

Asuka folded the clothes and stuffed them on top of the other items. She closed the backpack and hauled it through the door.

The rest of the rectangular cabin sprawled before her. To the left was a stone, unlit fireplace. At the foot sat a maroon, worn rug. To the right was a small, round, wooden table with four matching chairs. The wall jutted out after the fireplace just enough to separate it from the small kitchen area. A fridge, counter space, a sink, counter space, and a stove quietly sat, ready to be used.

Across the room from the kitchen was a single door. Magnolia could be seen amongst the trees in the distance through the windows on either side of said door. Further past the kitchen was another door with a single window that led to nothing but woods.

The One-Shot Sniper hauled her pack out the back door to the Rover and threw it in the back with several other pieces of luggage.

She hurried back inside and looked around.

Knock knock knock

"Coming!" she called.

Asuka opened up the front door to a young man with scraggly red hair and a blue coat over black clothes and bare feet. His arms were crossed and beads of sweat coated his pale face.

She cocked a brow.

"Hullo, Reiki."

"Hello, Asuka! How's preparing for the trip going?"

"Ummm, fine?"

"Great! Listen, I know you're in a rush, but I was wondering if we could talk for a brief five minutes?"

Asuka exhaled.

"Five minutes. Come inside while I finish a few last minute things," she grumbled.

Reiki exhaled softly and stood on the doorstep.

The One-Shot Sniper started to gather loose items and put them in various places around the cabin.

The Heavenly Body Mage cleared his throat.

"So, uh, I had a question about your quest at Needleworks," he stated.

A loud sigh emitted from the adult.