14 - Rehersals

As time went on, Rose started showing interest in performing in plays, which lead to Harrison asking Matt to take his little sister to different auditions in local theaters for her to audition.

Matt put on a baseball cap before he took her to the auditions of a musical that she wanted to be a part of.

He wanted to hide his face desperately but it is hard. The baseball cap was the best he got, but there are still stares.

There were still kids who would look at him and point. There were little kids who noticed the scars and look at him in fear. There were parents who would rush their kids away the moment they saw Matt with his scarred face and arms.

Matt pulled the sleeve of his hoodie down as they walked out of the house.

Jack and Evan came with them.

At this point, the twins had left for New York. Their mother wouldn't let them stay any longer. She thanked Jack for the offer of the twins staying with him longer, but she rejected the offer. She wanted to spend some time with the twins before she sent them back to the S.S Tipton in the fall.

Matt, Jack, and Evan sat in the chairs as Rose prepared herself for the audition. She was going over lines with a friend of hers at the local theater.

Matt hid his face as parents entered with their kids, knowing how they will act when they see him.

After some time here in New York, Evan had gotten used to this behavior. He understands why he does it. How he got the scars is still something he does not know how he got. Matt had told everyone that he got attacked by a bear, but that still doesn't make sense.

Evan also noticed that the Taylors had a lot of secrets, secrets that he knew will explain everything. Everything about all the weird stuff that happens around them and explain what really happened to Matt and his attack. He knew that those secrets were kept for a reason and that they had every right to keep it, but he wished he knew. He wished he knew what really happened, but obviously, they did not trust him enough to tell him.

They barely know him. They don't know him as well as Jack, so naturally, he knows what happened and he doesn't.

Some parents looked over at Matt and their eyes naturally went to his scars and quickly looked away.

"Mr. Taylor, Mr. Anderson, Mr. Meyers," the play instructor, Mrs. Ortega, said, suddenly.

The trio jumped, not expecting her to call on them.

"Yes, ma'am?" Matt said, raising his eyebrows.

"Since the three of you have been spending quite a lot of time here, might as well make yourselves useful and help out with the set and props," Mrs. Ortega said.

Matt, Jack, and Evan looked at each other and stood up.

"Matthew, help me with the heavy things," Mrs. Ortega said.

Matt nodded.

He had helped out around and Mrs. Ortega picked up on his strength quickly and would ask him to help with the heavy props and items whenever he was around and they needed something heavy to be moved.

Jack and Evan helped with painting parts of the set and Matt helped move around the heavy objects when needed.

Every time Matt tried to get away and paint the sets with Jack and Evan, Mrs. Ortega quickly pulled him away from them and had him do something else.

"Is there anything else?" Matt asked, annoyed that he couldn't do something as simple as painting a set.

Mrs. Ortega noticed the scratches on his arm and how red they had turned.

"Alright," she said. "Alright, go paint with your friends."

"Thank you," Matt said.

He walked over to Jack and Evan and helped them.

The paint brush between his fingers was shaking. He knew why.

"How heavy were the stuff did you lift?" Evan asked.

"A little too heavy," Matt said. "And it's not only that. She had me carrying a ton of stuff, more than I can handle."

Jack looked at Matt, sympathetically.

"This is what I get, I guess," Matt shrugged.

"The fact that she pushed past your limit," Evan said, looking over at Mrs. Ortega who was talking to Rose and another member of the cast.

Jack glared at her.

"I swear if she does anything to Rose," Matt said, watching the instructor interact with his little sister.

Matt dipped his paintbrush into the green paint and began painting.

The paintbrush in his hand shook less now.

Matt knew the objects he carried were heavy, but he did not realize how much his arms hurt until he picked up his paintbrush to paint.

"What are we going to do after this?" Jack asked.

"I don't know," Evan shrugged.

Matt only shrugged.

"Hey," Jack remembered, "my uncle bought this boat. He's asking if we can fix it. Do you think we can?" 

"I'll talk to my dad," Matt said. "I think we'll be able to do it, but..."

"Just wanna make sure you have the supplies, right?" Evan asked.

"Yeah," Matt nodded.

Authors Note

Hi everyone!

Sorry for taking a while to update. School has been a pain in the ass and the updates will be slow until I get to season three of Wizards of Waverly Place. Hopefully the chapter won't be as long to write as this.

I hope you all enjoyed this chapter. Let me know what you wll think!