15 - Docks

After rehearsals, they went back home.

Matt asked Harrison about fixing Jack's uncle's boat at the dock. Harrison said that they should be able to fix it.

Matt, Jack, and Evan took some tools and supplies and headed to the docks. Jack let his uncle know that they were on the way to fixing it and he was thrilled to know that the trio was fixing it.

Jack's uncle, Will, met them at the docks.

"Hello, boys," Will Anderson greeted them.

Will looked pretty similar to Jack and Jack's dad. The resemblance between Jack and his uncle is uncanny. Anyone who knows Jack and his family know how much Jack resembles his uncle. There were numerous times where people would mistake Will as Jack's father. They would have to correct them and inform them they're uncle and nephew, not father and son.

Saying those people would be surprised would be an understatement.

"Hey, Matt," Will greeted Matt. He turned to Evan. "You must be Evan, right?"

"Yes, sir," Evam nodded, shaking his hand. "Nice to meet you."

"Nice to meet you to, Evan," Will said. 

After letting go of Evan's hand, Will clapped his hands together and looked at all three of them.

"Alright," he said. "So, my boat... it needs to repairs, obviously."

"What's wrong with it?" Matt asked.

Will gave them a rundown of what happened to the boat and what he's seen.

Once he did so, Matt and Jack took a look at the look and examined everything in the car.

They told Will that there were several other things wrong with the boat than he thought. 

They explained everything that they noticed that was wrong other than what Will said and said everything was fixable. It would take several days to fix, but it was manageable.

Will thanked them and called Harrison to thank him as well.

Matt, Jack, and Evan began fixing the boat.

Evan was a quick learner Matt noticed. He noticed how easily Evan learned things. There were some things that either he didn't know how to do or he didn't do it properly. 

Matt handled the heavier things seeing that he was stronger.

Evan still had no idea of the wizarding world and that Matt was a werewolf. 

Matt knew that Evan was suspicious. He knew that Evan knew something was up and that Matt and Evan were hiding something from him along with Matt's family and Russo family.

Matt noticed Evan's stare in the corner of his eye. 

He glanced at Jack, who gave him a look.

Both of them were thinking the same thing. They both thought of Evan and how they were hiding all of this from him.

Matt trusted Evan. He knew if he told Evan about the wizarding world and everything that comes with the world, but he couldn't. He just couldn't.

After fixing the bought, they let Jack's uncle know they were done and he told them not to trash the boat and that he will take them and Matt's family out on the boat.

"Oh, Evan, your parents are coming into town soon, right?"

"Yes, sir," Evan nodded.

"Let me know when they do," Will requested. "We can hold off 'till they come into town to go onto the boat."

Evan smiled. "Alright, sir."

Will left, leaving the trio to hang out on the boat and on the docks for the afternoon.

Matt and Evan followed Jack into the dock, who showed them around the boat.

Matt has been on the boat a few times, but it was a long time ago. He remembered going on the boat before his mother left them. He remembered how much fun he had on the boat with his family and Jack and Will. 

He remembered how for a couple of years, he refused to go because the memories of going on the boat was too painful. 

The last time he was on the boat was a few days before his mother left. It was the last time they were a family.

Now, it's been so long that he feels somewhat disconnected.

"Are you okay?" Evan asked.

"Hm?" Matt looked at Evan.

"Are you okay?" Evan asked. 

"Yeah, I... I don't know," Matt admitted.

"Oh, shit," Jack remembered. "I completely forgot."

"It's alright," Matt shrugged. "It was a long time ago.

"What?" Evan asked between Matt and Jack.

"The last time I came on this boat was before my mom left," Matt explained. "It was the last time we were a family before my mom packed up her things and left us."

"I'm sorry," Evan said. "I didn't mean to bring this up."

"It's okay," Matt said. "I..."

Jack and Evan glanced at each other.

"My mom wants a relationship with me," Matt told them. "She wants to reconnect."

"What did you tell her?" Jack said.

"I want nothing to do with her," Matt said. "She left us and started some other family. I don't know if I want to get involved with that."

"What?" Evan said, shocked. "How could she do that to you guys?"

"I don't know," Matt said. "She said she wasn't ready for a family when she had Rose and I, but..."

"Yet she started her own family... how long after?" Jack asked, realizing that he didn't know."

"Her kids look like they're two or three years younger than Rose," Matt said.

Jack's and Evan's jaws dropped.

"Yeah," Matt said. "I know. I saw them at the mechanic store the other day when my mom stopped by to talk to me. I didn't talk to them, but... I don't want to talk about it."

"Are you okay, though?" Jack asked.

"Like, actually okay?" Evan asked.

"I don't know," Matt said. "Do you guys want to get pizza for dinner?"