17 - Goodbyes

Matt's skin burned the following day, just like Jack and Evan. Matt groaned as he turned onto his side. His skin felt like it was on fire and it did not help that the full moon was around the corner. 

Matt woke up in the morning and remembering that the full moon was coming up. It had slipped his mind the previous day when he, his family, Jack, and Evan and his parents went out on the boat. He was so focused on having fun with them that for once, he did not think about the full moon approaching.

Jack knocked on Matt's door and came in. Evan followed Jack into the bedroom.

"Oh, geez," Jack said, "you look worse than us."

Matt groaned, sitting up and rubbed his forehead.

"The sunburn looks terrible on the both of you," Matt said.

Evan smiled and chuckled.

"Are you okay, buddy?" Jack asked.

"Oh, yeah," Matt said, "never been better."

"Come on, we're taking Evan out for breakfast," Jack said. "We'll wait for you downstairs."

"Take Rose with you!" Harrison called.

"Okay!" the trio responded.

"Alright," Matt said, swinging his legs around the bed. "I'm going to get ready. See you two downstairs."

Matt quickly got ready and went downstairs to meet Jack, Evan, and Rose.

"Here are your ten dollars," Jack said, holding up a ten-dollar bill, "from the bill."

"Thanks," Matt said, taking the money.

They said goodbye to Harrison and went to a nearby restaurant for breakfast. 

Rose kept glancing at Matt as they walked to the restaurant. 

She took his hand and squeezed it.

"I'm okay," he whispered to her.

"You don't look okay," she responded in a whisper. "You look sick."

"I'm fine," he insisted. "I'll be okay. I swear. I'll go home if I feel worse, okay?"

Rose bit her lip and nodded.

"Okay," she said. "But if you don't feel well -"

"I know, Rose," Matt smiled, softly. "I know."

Rose held onto Matt's hand just so if anything happens to him, she's right there next to him.

They got to the restaurant and got their table. 

Matt subconsciously rubbed his arm as looked down at the menu.

He picked up the menu and scanned the menu, deciding on what he wanted to get for breakfast.

Matt and Jack made sure that Evan's last several hours in New York was fun. After breakfast, they took Evan to all the tourist spots in New York and wherever he wanted before he and his parents checked out of their hotel room.

Once two o clock hit, that meant that Evan and his parents wear leaving.

"Well, thanks for letting me stay with you, Jack," Evan said.

"You can stay with me anytime," Jack smiled. 

Evan smiled as well.

Evan said goodbyes to everyone and left Jack and Matt to be the last ones.

"Hopefully, your dad brings you to Boston," Evan said to Matt.

"Hopefully," Matt agreed.

"Oh, don't worry, I will," Harrison promised. 

"Really?" Matt said, excitedly. "Can Jack come?"

He looked at Jack, than back at his father.

"Yeah, sure," Harrison shrugged. "Why not?" 

"Yes!" Matt and Jack exclaimed.

"That's great!" Evan said, excitedly. "Zack, Cody and I can show you around Boston. And we can introduce you guys to our friends there."

After final goodbyes, Evan and his parents left to drive to Boston and Matt, his family and Jack went back to Waverly Street.

Rose went to hang out with some of her friends in the neighborhood and Matt and Jack worked at the mechanic store with Harrison.

After working for several hours, Matt and Jack washed their hands and headed over to get sandwiches from the Russo's restaurant and hang out with Alex.

"Hey, Alex," Matt said.

"Hi, Alex."

"Hey, guys," Alex greeted them.

"Where's Harper?" Matt wondered.

"Uh, good question, I have no clue," Alex said.

"Thank God," Jack muttered.

Matt smiled a little.

"Do you guys want the usual?" Alex asked.

"Please," Matt said.

"On it," Alex said.

"I think Alex still likes you," Jack whispered to Matt.

Matt scoffed. "Doubt it. Why would she like me? After how I treated her towards the end of our relationship, she has no reason to like me."

"Geez, what happened to you?" Jack asked. "Ever since, you know, the accident," he lowered his voice, "you haven't been the same."

"Because I'm not," Matt said, lowering his voice as well. "Look at me, Jack. What about me is normal? I'm a wizard and a monster."

"You're not a monster," Jack said. "You're Matt."

"You don't understand," Matt shook his head. 

"Then make me understand," Jack said.

Right at that moment, Alex reappeared with two sandwiches.

"Thank you," Matt said.

Matt and Jack sat down, pretending not to have the conversation they had.

The door to the restaurant opened and Harper entered.

"Hey, Alex," Harper greeted Alex, cheerfully. 

Harper's smile quickly disappeared when she saw Jack and Matt.

"Oh, you two are here," she said.

"Yeah, and?" Jack said.

"Out of all places you could eat, why here?" Harper asked, annoyed.

"Because we like it here?" Matt said.

"Because we want to hang out with our friend?" Jack added.

"Alex and her family are family friends?"

Harper rolled her eyes at them and joined them at the counter.

"Where's Evan?" Alex asked.

"He left earlier today," Jack said, sadly.

"Oh, that sucks," Alex said, disappointedly. "I really liked him."

"Me too," Harper said, equally disappointed. "He was so nice."

Matt and Jack gave each other looks. They weren't sure how to feel about Harper's comments about their friend.

"Yeah, I think it's a good thing he left," Jack said, uncertainly. "That way, Harper wouldn't get obsessed with him like she did with Justin."

"Uh - huh," Matt agreed.

Harper looked at the two in disbelief.

"I got over Justin!" Harper said. 

"Yeah, right," Matt rolled his eyes.

"The way you act around him and Juliet says other ways," Jack said.

Harper glared at them.