9.

The pup was going to pass on from the start- it wasn't a spur of the moment choice, sorry for coming back and then breaking all of your hearts :(    -Misha 
---

I was discharged from the hospital a few days later, empty and tired. My mama had come to see me, crying and hugging me in comfort- we had both even nested together- but everything was still so.... lacking. The only comfort I sought out was from Taylor, holding onto him and breaking down whenever he left.

Everything was a blur, I only really managed to focus when Taylor settled me in our nest, chuffing and holding me tight to him. I was bleary and heart broken, sniffling and sobbing for a bit until I tired myself out, drifting off into a fitful rest. 

--

Weeks passed and I refused to leave the nest, holed up and whimpering softly. Sometimes I ate, sometimes I didn't- it was really whatever he managed to feed to me. We were both snuggling and whispering soft words to each other when the phone rang, Taylor huffed and sat up, earning a raspy and heart broken whine from myself as he answered the call, rubbing my back gently. 

"Mhm... I see..." he sounded furious "We'll be there right away." Ending the call he leaned down and pressed a kiss to my temple "That was the hospital-" my hoarse cry broke him off as I shook my head "I don't... want to go" he calmed me back down and continued "There was a system mix up- he... could still be alive." I sat up, small sparks of hope and desperation in me, I wobbly stood and changed into a large sweater, not bothering to brush my hair and tying it into a short ponytail- it had grown out a bit past my shoulders- and tugged Taylor up stumbling and trying to get to the hospital as fast I could.

The car ride felt like it took years, my whines and scent of anxiety filling the car- it was rather pungent due to my mix, and made Taylor wince a few times. Once we arrived, we headed straight for the NICU, earning a few pitying looks at our condition. 

Upon arrival, nurses stood about, a pup in their arms and talking to a couple who seemed rather angry "... that is my pup!!" I heard her say. A nurse noticed us and led us over, helping me into a chair which I greatly appreciated- I was drained from the stress. "Well, as you can see there was a mix up- two of the same ID code were printed for the pups, however in this scenario, one of them has sadly passed." I whined softly, and leaned into Taylor who rubbed my back. "We aren't sure which pup is which, so a maternity test is required." I nodded, and glanced at the pup who was growing fuss in the nurse's arms- he looked nothing short of stunning, his pale little arms waving around, he looked albino, and thus convinced me he was mine. The woman tried to take the pup from the nurse, earning a snarl from me. 

I got up and took the baby- a bit forcefully- and sat back down in awe. He was so small and tiny- very obviously premature. His eyelashes were white, and he looked bald from the light colour of his hair. I nosed into him softly, taking in his baby scent and purring loudly- I felt complete. The woman was upset "I want that maternity test- that IS my pup!" I complied, eyes glued to MY baby as I allowed some of my blood to dribble into a tube. 

--

Minutes ticked by and the pup was trying to latch through my sweater, nosing around and grunting softly which earned a few purrs from myself. The woman had attempted to take him back which only earned a hiss from myself. I wiggled my baby under my shirt and allowed him to latch, purring and nosing into Taylor's shoulder- he had sat down next to me as well and was in utter love with the baby, though I didn't allow him to touch my pup. 

The nurses walked back out, a paper in their hands as they read it out "Pup ID2579027 matches blood tests with Daniil Romineva." Relief washed through me as I cried, my hands shaking as I looked down at my pup- MY pup. The woman was furious and screamed at the doctors before angrily marching out- I felt horrible for her but couldn't bring myself to care, I had my pup in my arms... finally. Tears rolled down my face as they brought over the birth certificate, the old one discarded. 

"His name?" the doctors asked, earning a soft sigh from myself "Andrey... my little warrior."