Chapter 39.

(A/N: IM SORRY
YOULL UNDERSTAND AT THE END OF THIS CHAPTER)

Nikki's Point of View:

I've got the first watch tonight. It's not like I'd be able to sleep, anyway.

The night is cold, the Massachusetts air nipping at my cheeks and turning them pink. Everyone had fallen asleep mere minutes ago.

That is, except for Leo.

I can hear him tossing and turning at the mouth of the cave. I've heard him grumble profanities once or twice when he accidentally sets something on fire, which would usually make me chuckle.

Just not today.

(Y/N)'s smiling face is all I can picture. I refuse to believe that she's not alright. I mean, she has to be.

Right?

No, Nikki, stop thinking like that. She's strong. She's powerful, and she's brave. I know she's okay.
She is. That thought is the only thing that's keeping me determined and hopeful right now, and I'm not about to let it go.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now, how is our reader?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Black.

As far as you could tell, everything was black.

You couldn't tell if you were awake or not. Which was was up? Which was down?

It was almost like you were floating.

It was a completely silent calm, one that would drive someone to insanity if exposed to for too long. To you, it was utterly serene, the only feeling being tranquility.

Small echoes here and there would bounce into your ears, almost sounding like rippling water.

The black started to twinge with light and color, looking like the space was in the process of becoming a colorful oil painting. Stains of navy and a sickly green and yellow were forming spots before your eyes.

Next thing you knew, a scene lay out before you, leading you to believe that you were, in fact, asleep.

The room was dark, a navy color that reminded you of the bottom of the ocean. The sickly green was the marble floor, patterns of black strips swimming throughout the tiles.

One lamp stood in the corner of the small room, barely illuminating its area with its dim, yellow light.

You tried to stand carefully, for your head pounded with every slight move.

Where were you?
~~
You suddenly gasped, realizing one crucial fact.
You asked yourself one question.

"Who am I?"