Chapter 3

13 November 2018

It was game day against Australia and we were coming off of a win against Poland, and Australia a 1-0 loss to Germany. Everyone was dancing around on the bus as we drove to the stadium from the hotel and Leila ensured I was dancing with her. When the bus pulled into the parking lot Mapi carried the speaker out and continued dancing with Leila and a few other girls. I filmed their little circle and posted it to my Instagram story. Standing with Alexia, I could see the Australians going into the stadium as well and upon hearing our music looking over. I debated waving to a few of my old friends and ultimately decided against it.

We finally moved into the locker rooms and after changing into my jersey and tying my warm-up jacket around my neck I continued to jump around with the girls. I love the whole atmosphere of the team, how fun and easy it was. After a time warning from Irene and Alexia I quickly finished changing into my kit and put my braided hair into a ponytail. Leila tossed me a marker and on the inside of my finger I quickly wrote 6.3.12. I threw the marker back and put my jacket on. Match time.

We started with possession and were immediately met with the Australian pressure. Mariona dribbled away from Logarzo and passed the ball to me. I set it a few paces in front of me and ran with it. I faced up against Caitlin and I popped the ball up and kicked it over her head to Alexia who had been making the overlapping run. Ale took it to the box and took the shot. It was saved by their keeper, Mackenzie Arnold.

Later into the first half I was stripped of the ball by Kerr and had to make a back tracking run to recover the ball. I slide in front of her legs and got the ball, making her have to jump over me. I was able to kick it over to Patri and she took the ball back into their half.

"Nice tackle, Lia," Lola said to me. We were walking back to the locker rooms after the first half, up 2-0 from goals by Patri and Mariona.

"Thanks Lola, you've been doing really good in goal."

"Thank you. Couldn't help but notice a certain number nine sending you looks the whole game."

"Marta?" I ask, playing dumb.

"Foord."

"Strange."

"Isn't it?" She realized I wasn't going to tell her anything and changed the topic until we parted ways in the locker room. I was number 19 for both Spain and Barca. I chatted with Aitana while we waited for Alexia's halftime talk.

Going into the second half we were ready to hold them off and score more. Sam Kerr started the second half passing to Caitlin. I quickly pressured her and stole the ball, I sprinted up the field and found Vicky Losada on the other side of the pitch. She played it up to Mariona who crossed it back to me. I trapped the ball with my chest and volleyed it towards goal. We watched the ball soar into the back of the net and Alexia ran over to hug me. We all celebrated and Mapi messed my hair up on purpose. I stuck my tongue out at her while we ran back to our side of the field.

At the final whistle it was 5-1, with two from me and Mariona and a fifth from Alexia, Hayley Raso got Australia's only goal.

"Long time no see old friend!" Caitlin says as she walks towards me.

"Caitlin," I nod.

"That's it? It's been six years since you just disappeared from Sydney."

"I'm aware of that. Though, it's been two years since you started talking to Antonio so it has not been that bad. No?"

"Come on, Ari. How was I supposed to contact you?" Caitlin complains.

"Don't call me that. Second, you could have done what your friend did! You think I would have ignored you?"