Chapter 12

Aurelia's POV

Toni walked into the room with a bowl of popcorn and set it on the table.

"Are you ready!" He asks jumping over the couch to sit.

"I am!" Leila says.

"Guys it's not a movie, we're just watching a football match," I say, taking a handful of popcorn.

"Same thing, it's entertainment!"

The game starts and Portland has the upper hand immediately. Caitlin races up the pitch and takes a shot and it's saved by the Washington Spirit keeper.

"That was close!" Toni groans.

It takes fifteen minutes for Hayley to open the scoring.

"Yes! Hayley Raso for the Thorns!" Toni shouts. I laugh at his reaction and Leila nudges me in the side.

"Your girlfriend has got skills!"

"Shut up Leila," I still had a smile on my face.

It's the fifty-first minute when things turn bad. Hayley was going up for a header at the same time the Spirit's keeper was jumping for the ball. Hayley goes down and looks like she's in really bad pain.

"No, no no no, get up Hales, get up. You're ok, you're ok."

"Lia, she'll be fine, she's going to be fine," Leila says, grabbing my hand. The medics run onto the field and I watch as she puts her back.

"Is it her back? Could she be paralyzed?" I stand up and start walking.

"She's going to be playing again." The medics stretcher her off the field and onto the sidelines. They then take her to the locker room and the camera turns back to the field.

"I need to call someone."

"Who are you going to call?" Toni asks.

"Who is that girl Jenni is friends with? American, dark hair, they played together!"

"Christen Press," Leila says. I quickly search up her instagram and message her.

"Let me," Leila takes my phone and types the message out for me. Toni takes my hands and guides me to the couch.

"Do you want to fly to Portland?"

"I have matches here, and and what about Mari?"

"Mariana isn't getting better or worse. Hayley needs you, Ari."

"Christen is in a different state. I got you a plane ticket, Toni is right, you need to be in Portland."

"Ok, ok, are you coming?" I ask Toni.

"No, you don't need to worry about me, Ari. I'll stay here."

"I'll stay with him." I quickly grab a suitcase and throw some clothes in it. I zip it back up and go back to the living room.

"Listen to me, Ari. She is going to be fine." Toni wraps his arms around me and I just stand there.

"I'm driving." Leila says. We get to the airport and I say goodbye to them.

It's three in the morning when the plane lands in Portland and I'm exhausted. I grab my suitcase and rush off the plane. I hail the first cab I see and try and figure out the hospital she would be at.

"Hi, is Hayley Raso here?"

"Are you family?" The person at the desk asks.

"No, I just need to see her. We are friends."

"Name?"

"Aurelia Vidal."

"You aren't on the list for visitors. I'm sorry."