Chapter 25

From: Ellie A.

Hey! Are you able to talk?

To: Ellie A.

Yeah, is everything okay?

<Incoming Call From: Ellie A.>

"Hey Ellie, you alright?"

"Hi Hales! Everything is fine. I just wanted to talk to you."

"Okay."

"Remember I was in the hospital and you bringed coffee?"

"Yes," I smile at her poor grammar and wait for her to continue.

"My sister, she is my, hang on." There is a pause while she gathers her thoughts and puts them in English. "Twin? We are twins. She was hit by a car when we were eight and is in the hospital."

"Oh Ellie, I am so sorry. That's awful! Is she in a coma or something? Is she doing alright?"

"What is a coma? She is not awake so maybe she is okay."

"It's just when they are asleep for a really long time," I explain.

"Right, yes. She is. I just wanted you to know," she says.

"Thank you for telling me. How are you doing? How is camp?"

"Good! Ona is acting different, so are Jenni and Alexia, Leila is happy we play tomorrow. We all are."

"What time is that game again?"

"Three in the afternoon. I do not know of the differences."

"I can look it up later, and guess what!"

"What?"

"I started learning Spanish!" I smile. I had started taking lessons online and had waited until I could form a basic sentence before telling her.

"Really! Eres bueno?"

"Are you any good?"

"Si." She laughs over the phone and I can't help but laugh with her. I swear its contagious.

"Very good. It is useful to know."

"It is, especially with you," I say.

"Hayley! Oh sorry, I didn't know you were on the phone," Caitlin says.

"It's okay, do you need something?" I ask her.

"We are headed to lunch in a few minutes, take your time though. We will just go when you are ready," Caitlin assured me.

"Thank you!"

"I need to go soon, Hales," She says.

"Are you sure?"

"I don't want to hold you all up," She explains.

"They can wait," I shrug.

"Screw you Raz! I'm hungry!" Ellie shouts. I hear her laugh on the phone, telling me she heard Ellie.

"You should go to lunch, Hales. We can talk tomorrow!"

"After your game, good luck!"

"Thank you!"

Aurelia's POV

We walk out of the tunnel onto the pitch for the anthems. They played Belgium's first so I took the time to glance around the stadium and say a quick prayer. When they played Spain's anthem I put my arms around Aitana and Andrea.

The first half ended scoreless which frustrated both teams. We had had several chances, Vir streaking up the pitch and sending a cross into one of us then Belgium's keeper saving it. Or Vicky taking a shot then it rebounding to me and then my shot being deflected. It was all very frustrating, so when we went back out for the second half we were determined to get a goal. Or two.

We started the second half with more energy and as the top team. We were playing most of the game in Belgium's half controlling the ball and peppering the goal with shots. I received the ball from Virginia and took it down the wing before I sent a cross in towards Aitana. She got a head onto it and it looked like it was going in but it hit the crossbar and went out for a goal kick.

It was not far into the second half before Leila was up the field with the ball and sent me a through ball. I ran onto it and it was one on one. I shot the ball passed the keeper and watched the net ripple. 1-0 Spain. I ran over to Leila and hugged her. We had our moment before we went back to our side for kick off.

It was somewhere around the fiftieth minute when Belgium got a corner kick. I ran back to our box to defend and watched my player and the ball. The ball was sent in and I jumped to hit it away from our goal. My head collided with the ball and I shake my head. The ball was sent in with loads of force, almost too much, and my head snapped back when I headed the ball away.

"Lia! Are you okay?" Leila asks. I focus back on her and smile.

"All good!" I told her. I blink away the blurriness and run back up the field. The ball goes out for a Spain throw in and I run to get open. My head is pounding and with every step I take it feels like my head is going to explode. I continue to ignore it I trapped the ball with my chest and settled it at my feet. I scanned the pitch for a pass and the ball was tackled away in the seconds I had wasted. I shook my head again and chased after the ball again.

The ball was out again, this time for Belgium, when I started feeling worse. I stumbled over to Aitana and grab her shoulders.

"Lia? What are you doing?" My vision clouds and my knees buckle. Aitana helps me sit down on the pitch and I lean my head on my knees. "Hey, what's wrong? What is it?"

"My head," I tell her. The next thing I know the medical staff are on the pitch and I lift my head. I am met with bright lights and the sun bearing down on us.

"Aitana said your head? What happened Lia?"

"Went for a header, guess I should have let someone else handle that," I joke. I see Aitana roll her eyes and suppress a smile.

"Why didn't you stop sooner?"

"It was fine, just a bit blurry and dizzy. And pounding. But then it got a lot worse," I explain. The ref comes over and says that we need to continue the examination on the sidelines. Leila helps me off the pitch and they check me for a concussion.

"I'm going to be honest with you guys. I have no intention of stepping back on that field. I actually think I would die."

"You look concussed so we were not going to let you either way. Jorge is going to make a sub. Let's go to the locker room to do a few more exams." I show them a thumbs up and they help me into the locker room.