Chapter 23

"She got a dog," Ona says. I was braiding her hair in hope that she would catch onto the way I was doing it.

"Okay, good for her. Toni wants a dog as well," I responded.

"She sent pictures, and we talked it out. How are you and Hayley doing?"

"I was down in Australia for Christmas, we spent some time together and yeah."

"Seriously, that is as much as you're going to give me?"

"That's all there is!"

"I don't believe that."

"That's your choice," I shrug. Hayley and I agreed to keep our relationship, not that we are dating, a secret from teammates. Especially because of my rocky relationship with a few of her Australian teammates.

"Fine, I will just ask Leila and Mapi."

"Leila may like you Ona, but I'm her roommate back in Barcelona."

"Mapi isn't."

"Neither of them know anything because there isn't anything to know. Are you even paying attention to how I'm braiding?"

"Yes, don't worry. I can show you when you are done."

"Great! Hopefully we match," I say, unsure of how well the braids will be.

She managed to braid my hair well enough for me to leave it in after close to an hour.

"It looks good! A little more practice will make it look even better."

"Thanks Lia! Let's go show Alexia! I mentioned this to her as well." I hold back a laugh at how eager she is to show Ale the braids she did in an attempt to learn for her crush. She practically drags me out of the hotel room and to Alexia's.

"One minute!" Ale shouts from behind the door. I hear her moving stuff around and closing a door before she opens the door and smiles. "Hey, what's up?" I raise an eyebrow at her flushed face and gesture to my hair as a sign that she needs to fix hers.

"I braided Lia's hair! How does it look?" Ona turns me around to show Ale and I hear Alexia's approval of the two braids.

"Only took an hour but she did good!" I smile.

After Ona shows off the braids she leaves to find Leila and I stay behind to talk with Alexia for a moment.

"Something you want to share?" I smirk.

"No," She answers.

"As long as you're happy Ale, just tell Jenni I will hurt her if she leaves like that again."

"Okay," I watch as realization hits her and she fixes her answer. "Wait I don't know what you're talking about, I don't know where Jenni even is."

"Bye Ale!"

Ona was out of the room with Mapi which left me time to talk to Hayley.

"Ellie!" She smiles when she answers the face time.

"Hi Hales, how are you doing?" I ask.

"Good, we are just hanging out in Portland for now since we don't have any matches with the national team but we may drive up to Seattle later."

"That sounds fun!"

"Yeah, how is camp going?"

"Fine, we have an off day today so I taught Ona braids, then bothered Alexia and hung out with Leila and Mapi and some of the other girls."

"I'm glad you are enjoying yourself. You play Belgium in a couple days right?"

"Yes, in two days. After we play the Americans," I  say. A few of her teammates in Portland are on the American team that we are going against.

"Good luck! Don't tell anyone but I hope you win against the U.S."

"Thank you! I will not tell any of them," I smile. We talk a bit longer about everything that is happening before I need to go so I make it to dinner on time. I run into Alexia on the way down to the meal room and I pull her aside before she can walk any farther. I have to compose myself before speaking to her which does not amuse her.

"What is it Lia?"

"You have a hickey."

"Oh my god, you can't tell anyone Lia. Understand?"

"Yes, I won't tell anyone, don't worry Ale. I am the best possible person to find out, you just need some concealer."

"Can you help?" We get her bruise covered up and show up fashionably late for dinner.

"Busy talking to your girlfriend?" Leila shouts at us. I simply flip her off before continuing to the table where Ona is sitting.

"What were you saying about Leila?" She asks. I shake my head and shove her arm.

"Funny, Batlle, funny."

"How come you were late? Especially with Alexia, she is never late" Lola asks. I catch Jenni's eye and smile before answering.

"I lost my earring and Ale was helping me find it," I explained. "It was one of the one's Toni got me for Christmas."

"Oh, did you find it?" Lola asks.

"Yep." I show them my earring and take a sip of water. I never take my earrings out unless it is for football so the likelihood of me losing an earring is very small.

"Why did you take them out in the first place?" Ona asks.

"My ears were hurting so I took them out to clean them," I answered. Leave it to Ona to be the one to ask the follow up questions.

To: Hales

You will never believe what happened before dinner tonight

"Can I sleep in the braids?" Ona asks.

"Sure, you're hair will just be curly in the morning," I answer. She leaves them in and gets in bed. We were watching Friends before going to sleep and I was on my phone.

From: Hales

What? Is everyone okay?

To: Hales

Everyone is fine, one of the girls got a hickey and I had to help cover it up before going to dinner so we were late

From: Hales

Like, from today?

To: Hales

Yes, which is worse if you think about it

From: Hales

Wow, any chance you can tell me who?

To: Hales

Not yet, they haven't told the team yet. The only reason I know is because they are terrible at hiding it

From: Hales

You should take notes as to what not to do xx

Have a good night, I know it's late there. You need rest

To: Hales

Goodnight xx

"Those are the earrings you bought when we were in Ibiza." I look over and see Ona analyzing my jewelry.

"Lola doesn't know that," I shrug. "Ale asked me to not tell anyone, but you will definitely find out soon, she is the worst at hiding things."

"She hid a relationship for years, Lia."

"Everyone at Barca knew, I thought everyone here did too," I say.

"Seriously! Next time you need to fill me in on this stuff!" She complains.

"If it happens again I will," I laugh.

"Thank you, and good night." She turns off the lamp next to her bed and i do the same with the one next to mine.

"Good night, hermana."