Chapter 26

"So then I picked up the photo and gave it back to the girl but it was super weird. It was not a great photo even," Leila explains. I am only half listening to her ranting while I try and enjoy my coffee in peace. "Then she thanked me and everything but she sounded American!"

"Americans travel sometimes," I remind her.

"That's not the point, the point is that it was weird."

"So Americans are weird," I shrug. "It's nothing we didn't know before today."

"You are not helping!"

"What do you want me to say!" I respond.

"Lia. Leila, both of you, we are about to do some final film review. Come on!" Patri says. I groan and get out of my chair, coffee in hand. We walk into the meeting room and I sit next to Alexia. She takes my cup and steals a sip of coffee before returning it.

"Thanks Aurelia."

"Anytime Ale," I mumble. I lean my head on her shoulder and close my eyes. My head still hurt most of the time despite the medicine I was taking. The meeting starts and we review some of the U.S. players and their playing styles. I zone out for most of the meeting since I won't be playing and my attention is brought back when Heath is mentioned. Hayley plays with her, and a few other girls I can't be bothered to remember.

The next player is London Adair and we look over her attacking style and take note of what we need to be aware of.

"That was her," Leila tells me after the meeting.

"There were twenty something hers, Lei. I need more than that."

"London, that's the girl from this morning," she explains.

"Really? That's kind of cool! You should talk to her at the game," I suggest.

"Yeah, afterwards. First, we win."

I watched helplessly on the bench as the Americans put themselves ahead. It was just a friendly but in the World Cup year everyone was trying to show the competition that they were hard to beat.

"You have time to get it back!" I shout at the eleven on the pitch. I get a few thumbs up in response and some glances from the American players.

"Press knows Spanish," Jenni tells me.

"Whatever, that is not tactical. Just support," I say. I do however keep that knowledge in the back of my mind. It is always good to know when you can and cannot talk about tactics in front of opposing players. Spanish was out for Press.

"Now she's going to start talking Dutch," Aitana jokes.

"To who? Lieke is not here!"

"I'll just call her," I joke back. When Lieke arrived at Barca I started to learn Dutch so that she had someone that she could talk to in her native language. Something I knew was helpful after lacking that comfort in Australia.

The match ended 1-0 to the Americans and I watched Alexia come over disappointed.

"Come with me!" Leila pulls me up and drags me towards the Americans, probably to talk with London. We get caught up with Alex Morgan and I fake a smile through a handshake and congratulations. When we finally approached the girl Leila was looking for I left her side and went over to Jenni.

"Come meet Christen with me," She says. I just follow her to where Christen is standing with Hayley's teammate, Tobin Heath.

"Jenni! How are you?" Christen smiles when she sees Jenni. They hug and I just stand there glancing around the stadium. "Aurelia right? How is your head? I saw you got hurt in the last match you played," Christen asks me.

"Yes, my head is fine. It's been better, it has definitely been worse," I smile.

"She is shy. She got concussed but is getting better," Jenni says. I roll my eyes and Jenni puts her arm around me in response.

"You're sweaty," I complain so only she can hear.

"Oh! This is Tobin!" Christen adds. I look over at Tobin and wish it were a different Thorns player standing there.

"Hi, I am Aurelia. Good to meet you," I say to her.

"Hey, I'm Tobin but Chris just told you that. It's nice to meet you as well. Your team played good today."

"Thank you, so did you all," I respond. Christen is shocked that I know English and Jenni is surprised I am talking to Tobin in the first place.

"LIA! GET OVER HERE!" We all turn to look at who is shouting and I see Patri beckoning me.

"Good to meet you both, see you in France." I walk over to where Patri is standing and she informs me that Toni is here and wanted to see me.

"Antonio, I am surprised you are here," I say to him.

"Hey Ari, I saw you got hurt and I wanted to check on you," he explains.

"Why have you been avoiding all of us? I was worried about you Antonio!" I scold him.

"I got busy! Sorry."

"You have no time to send a single text? Maybe I should talk to your coaches and tell them to build in time for you all to check in with family," I suggest. He sighs and fixes his answer.

"I will keep in touch better, Ari. I promise. With you or one of the girls in Madrid." I nod and give him one last hug before I continue walking around the field. I readjust my sunglasses and pause when I see a clump of American players. I stop close to them but far enough to not be obvious I was listening and talk to the fans there.

"You are still my favorite number three," I hear her tell one of the other Americans.

I take advantage of my eyes being covered and glance over and see its the girl Leila was talking about earlier.

"She already has a stalker," Leila whispers to me. I jump and hit her arm.

"I am not stalking her! I just am checking in from afar," I explain.

"Right." I raise an eyebrow at her after she makes no attempt to leave and she rolls her eyes. "So am I, but that is not the point."

"I knew it. You are not sneaky!"

"Yes I am!" She protests.

"Since when?" I counter.

"Now you are just being cruel." I laugh and hug her.

"You know I love you."

"Yeah, I love you too Aurelia."