~35~

My eyes widened a bit as I remembered Vigo's words, "past, present, future." Before I could open my mouth to speak, Susie rocks back and forth on her heels, not the slightest bit of recognition on her face.

"Nope."

Her lips made a popping noise as she got to the "p," and I glance back at him, who actually looked flabbergasted. Holding back a smirk, I decide to play along with her, pursing my lips and shrugging my shoulders.

"I don't think he did mention it, considering he's been busy with his experiment. You know, to try and get us out of here." I look at him dumbly, tilting my head. "Sorry, you really must not be all that."

Susie snickered, but tried to cover it with a cough. He easily saw through our facade at that, and rolled his eyes. He muttered something to himself and turned away from us, continuing his book search and further choosing to ignore our presence. Susie lets out a disappointed sigh that he caught on so quick, and looks towards some stairs on the other side of the room. She looks at me, then motions her head to them and we head over to them without saying anything, walking up them. The stairs take a turn, and at the top of them there's a long hallway, the faint candles lit alongside the walls being the only source of light— there wasn't a single window to be seen. Some doors lined either side the hallway, and we try each door knob out of curiosity to try and see what might've been hidden inside those rooms. Unfortunately for our nosey selves, almost every knob we've tried turning had been locked.

Then again, this hallway seemed to go on for ages, and towards the end of it we could see two more openings going left and right; it was as if we were beginning to explore some sort of maze.

A beautiful one at that.

There was a lush, wine red carpet beneath our feet, the hallways had a dull red paneling accented with dark wood. Looking up, we couldn't even see the ceiling— but the limited amount of light didn't really help much and made us basically near sighted.

"How in the hell did he manage to get this shit?"

I wondered as we keep trying the knobs until we get to the "cross roads," and I look at Susie and shrug my shoulders.

"Left?"

I ask her, and without another thought she grabbed my hand and we went left. The candles seemed to space out more, leaving us with less and less light to work with. Eventually, when we were close to calling it quits and heading back, one of the knobs gives way and creaks as it turns beneath my hand. I look at Susie, my excitement mirroring her face as we laughed softly, and pushed the door open slowly. The door squealed on it's hinges, and we choose to just slip through the small opening we already had, and closed the door to avoid anymore noise. Even though this place was huge, who knows if they could hear it from all the way down there.

"Don't wanna get lectured by those ancient fucks."

I thought, amused as I take the room in. Suddenly, a soft light appears overhead, and I look up to see an old chandelier with multiple candles promptly lit up. Even though there were plenty of candles sitting upon it, it still didn't give much light— but it was just enough.

"Kinda weird."

Susie mumbled and let out a long breath through her mouth as we looked at the room. It seemed to be an old bedroom that was partially converted into a workspace. There were blueprints and sketches all over the walls, and an old looking desk with even more piled up papers and items I couldn't make out from far away stacked on top of its surface.

Despite my curiosity, I didn't wanna touch anything and risk some weird shit.

Susie let's out a dramatic sigh and makes her way to the large, four-postered king sized bed– thick canopies adorning the wooden poles.

"I feel like a goddamn noble."

She flops herself down onto the bed, the mattress squeaking slightly as her weight sunk into it. I squint at one of the large papers and see that it's some sort of blue print.

A hatch!

"So he really did create that shit. Huh."

I thought, awed as I took in some more of the sketches that my eyes were barely capable of seeing in the poorly lit room.

I hum as I make my way over to Susie, flopping down next to her once I get to the bed.

"Wow."

I close my eyes, feeling far more comfortable than I have in... well, I couldn't remember a time I felt this comfortable. I felt the exhaustion creeping in and I quickly open my eyes, refusing to fall victim to sleep.

"So this is how Quentin feels."

My heart aches as I thought of my new friends I made, and left behind as quickly as I made them. Wanting a distraction from the sadness thinking of them brought, I look at Susie, who was already looking at me. She didn't seem embarrassed in the slightest to be caught staring, and a small smile made its way onto her lips. I felt the familiar feeling of heat blossom through my skin, starting at my neck and spreading to my face.

I still can't believe I fell in love in a place where I was supposed to be constantly suffering in. That if, whatever Vigo was trying to make backfired, we both would continue to suffer. Especially if The Entity managed to sink her sadistic claws into us once again.

"You know... thanks for not killing me the first time we met."

I said awkwardly, wanting to say something to fill the long period of silence between us. Anything to get my mind off of everything happening around us. I feel her eyes burning into me, she seems to ignore what I had just said, and props herself up on her elbows. My heart starts to race as she speaks.

"Hey... we didn't get to finish what we started earlier."