~8~

"Wake up! Dammit Sunshine you need to wake the hell up!" A frantic male voice was yelling, it sounded so distant but felt as if it were close.

Right next to me?

No.. right in front of me.

"Cmon Sunshine please! This is all wrong, y-you weren't suppose to be chosen for a few more days! Fuck!"

I feel strong hands grip my shoulders and roughly shake me. I groan and snap open my eyes, seeing Steve's panicked face above mine.

My vision slowly began to clear up, and I quickly sit up when I realize I was not where I fell asleep.

I look to my side and expect to see Quentin here too, but to my surprise I instead see a completely different view.

We were in an area covered with snow, and it was much brighter out than it was at camp.

But the dark heavy clouds covered the sun that I ached to see, a dull glowing circle that was densely hidden behind the gray mass.

I shiver as the falling snowflakes delicately land on my face, the chill wind caressing my flushed cheeks.

"What... what happened?"

I look back at him confused.

"How'd we get here?... where's the camp?..."

I let my questions gush out as Steve helps me to stand up. I look around and see trees, a few odd wooden structures, and a giant deteriorated building not far off.

Oh, and the fog.

Not really a surprise there.

Except, it wasn't as thick as it was in the wood bordering the camp.

I exhale and see my breath leave my mouth.

"It really is cold."

I thought and I look at Steve, who was walking towards this strange looking machine. He crouches down and began to work on it.

I see one of the four pistons on it slowly begin to pump and he sighs.

"You're in your first trial. I don't know why you were put in one this early.. this never happens."

He mutters, and I come closer to him, watching as he pulled levers and connected wires together.

"Zarina and Ace are with us, but I don't know where they went. They're probably doing a generator somewhere. Hopefully."

Over the next few minutes, he shows me how to work on it, and it's surprisingly simple. Well, when you're focusing. I help him fix it, and after ten minutes it suddenly lights up, letting out this loud musical chime.

I felt a surge of hope at the sound.

"Four more generators left until the gates are powered."

He stated, standing and beginning to walk away. I stand up as well and begin to follow him, not wanting to be left alone in this place.

That is, until I see a shape in the fog.

I stop walking and stare at the approaching figure, forgetting about Steve as he got farther and farther away.

Along with whoever it was approaching, my heart starts pounding in my chest, beating faster the closer they get.

"Zarina?"

I assume as I squint, trying to see the figure better.

"Hello? I was just with Steve.. we were... I..."