thirty nine

Damon and Stefan pull up into the woods near the old witch house in Damon's car.
"So how do we know they're going to be here?" the older brother asks.
"We don't.
But if they're not, then we have about ten minutes until Rebekah tears Elena apart," Stefan answers, still wondering if Amelia is in on Esther's plan.
"You know, if we sit this out, Esther completes her spell, Klaus dies, you get your revenge.
It's what you wanted the whole time.
The only collateral damage is...."
"Elena" Stefan says and both brothers sigh.

"You know what she'd choose," Damon mutters.
"She'd let herself be killed to save her friend"
Stefan knows that Amelia would tell him to let Elena and a part of him wants to.
"Yep"
"If we do this, it'll wreck her," the younger Salvatore says.
"Well, she'll hate us. Thing is, she only has to hate one of us.
Only one of us has to do the actual deed"
"So, who's it gonna be, brother?"

Damon pulls out a coin and shows it to his little brother.
"Well, heads I do it, tails you do it"
"Awful lot of effort for someone who pretends not to care about her any more," Stefan says.
He's hoping that Amelia is either safe at her house or at least far away from this one.
Damon would try to kill her as soon as he sees her.
"Pot, kettle, brother"

Damon flips the coin, catches it and puts it on top of his other hand.
He then removes his hand to show Stefan the result.

⋇⋆✦⋆⋇

Amelia sits on the hood of her car and smokes a joint that one of her friends once forgot in the glove compartment.
The window is rolled down and music is playing, but not loud enough to attract Andrè's attention.
A glance at her watch tells her that he and his side chick have been at it for 45 minutes.
The moaning can also be heard all the way to the front of the house.
"Disgusting asshole," Amelia hisses and takes another drag of the joint.
The effect of the weed slowly becomes noticeable to her and with each passing minute she has more and more cruel thoughts.
Most of them end with Andrè dead or in the emergency room.

"So controlling to say that you love me, but you don't
Your family told me one day, I would see it on my own
Next thing I know, I'm dealing with your three kids in my home
Love is so blind, it feels right when it's wrong
Now that it's over, stop calling me, come pick up your clothes
Ain't no need to front like you're still with me, all your homies know
Even your very best friend tried to warn me on the low
Took me some time, but now I am strong, because I've realized I've got
Me, myself and I, thats all I got in the end
That's what I found out
And it ain't no need to cry, I took a vow that from now on
I'm gon' be my own best friend," the Bennett witch sings with Beyoncé.

When she realizes how accurate the lyrics actually are, she starts laughing in amusement.
"Me, myself and I," she repeats laughing, before it turns into a sob.
"I know that I will never disappoint myself," she continues, wiping away her tears.
As she does so, she notices that no more moans can be heard.
Shortly after, the light in her room goes out and she climbs off the hood.

⋇⋆✦⋆⋇

"They're coming, mother!" Finn warns her as soon as he can hear his brothers walk towards them.
"No, it's too soon, the moon is not high enough.
Go! Quickly!"
Bonnie and Abby quickly retreat into the house.
Kol, Elijah, and Klaus walk up a few moments later.

"My sons, come forward," Esther greets them.
"Stay beside me, mother"
"It's okay. They can't enter," Esther reassures Finn and joins him in the pentagram.
Kol approaches it and the torches around it flare up bright.
He's immediately driven back.
"That's lovely. We're stuck out here, while the favorite son plays sacrificial lamb.
How pathetic you are, Finn," the youngest brother snarks and Esther rolls her eyes.