ninety four

"Get up," Dario says sternly and Amelia scowls at him from her spot on the basement floor.
Her hand is resting on her aching rib and her lip is split open and bleeding.
"Fuck you," she groans and he chuckles.
"Maybe later. Now get up," he replies and she gets up from the floor, making him nod in satisfaction.
"You're good, a natural, but that's not enough"

Irritated by this, Amelia goes for a punch, but Dario blocks it and lands a kick to her side in return.
Groaning in pain, she bends over and takes a deep breath.
"That hurt, asshole"
Dario tilts her head up with a sigh and gives her a warning look.
"You could have blocked that. Stop fighting yourself," he instructs her and she straightens back up.
"I didn't want this life-"

"Hey, you called me and asked me to do you a favor, okay? So stop whining and get a grip.
You think some vampire's gonna take it easy on you?
That he'll spare you because you're something you didn't want to be?" he lectures her and the tick in his jaw shows her that he's getting frustrated.
"Suck it up or die at the hands of the enemy.
This isn't a game, Amelia"

Somewhat embarrassed, she nods and he looks at her for a moment before a small smile appears on his lips.
"I know it's overwhelming for you. I've been through it myself, but you can do it.
Don't think about Mariah, the Five or any of that unimportant stuff, okay?
Once you accept yourself, everything will work itself out," he motivates her and she smiles gratefully.
"I'm proud of you.
Now put your hands up"

Amelia follows his order and gets into fighting position.

⋇⋆✦⋆⋇

Stefan is in the woods doing pushups as well as talking to Caroline, who is outside the Lockwood Mansion.
"What do you mean you're not coming?
I don't need to remind you that your Miss Mystic Falls attendance record totally sucks"
She is walking down the stairs of the Lockwood mansion with a clipboard and preparing for the pageant.
Her phone is to her ear as she continues to talk to Stefan.

"Besides, you're a founding family member, by definition you have to be here.
And where is Amelia?
Bonnie already bailed on me and I refuse to let another one get away," she complains, takes her phone of the ear and types a few things.

⋇⋆✦⋆⋇

Dario drops his bottle of water on the floor and pulls a sharp dagger from the table full of equipment.
Amelia faces him and watches his every move.
Is he serious right now?
"If you pass this task, then we'll stop training for today," he tells her and she nods reluctantly.
"I'm going to attack you.
No holding back and no mercy.
Take the dagger from me and try to kill me"

The witch looks at him in disbelief.

"Are you crazy?"
He just shakes his head with a grin before unexpectedly leaping forward and aiming the tip of the dagger at her heart.
But Amelia reacts quickly and dodges his arm before throwing a punch at him.
"Why do I get the feeling you were just waiting for that chance?" she asks sarcastically and they both look at each other sizing up before a wild flurry of punches, kicks and attempted stabbings follow.

After a few moments, Amelia has Dario pinned to the floor beneath her and holds the dagger dangerously close to his neck.
He lies under her, breathing heavily, but doesn't fight back.
"Good, but you took too long and didn't protect yourself well enough.
No vampire will fight you that long, instead he'll just snap your neck or rip your heart out," he says and she rolls her eyes.

She is grateful to him for helping her and preparing her for the hardship of this life, but her patience has reached its end.

But just as she is about to open her mouth, her phone starts ringing.
It's now the seventh time this morning and she takes it off the charger with a sigh.
"It's Caroline...again"
"Answer your nosy friend before she shows up here," he replies, getting up to put away the training equipment.