rockabye •thirty-two

...

The sun shone through the window and beamed on Ben's sleeping face. Slowly, he awoke to greet the next day. He could hear the birds singing and Arlo barking. Ben pulled the covers off and stepped towards the window. He could see the dog running back and forth as it he were chasing something. Ben opened the window to let in the cool morning air. Arlo stopped his running to inspect the noise of the window. At the sight of Ben, he bark a few times before taking off. Ben backed away from the window and sat back down on the bed. It was quiet now.

Until the sound of a door opening and shutting, accompanied by light running footsteps passing his door and another door opening. The sound of giggles and laughter were heard from the other side of the wall. Then hushed speaking was in the air and the sound of the light footsteps were heard again. But instead of passing by his door, they stopped and a knock on the door happened. Ben stood and opened it to get a look at Athena staring open at him with a smile.

"Good morning, Mr. Ben." Athena greets. She was still in her pajamas having woken up just a few minutes ago. Her hair was messy, tangled looking. She wore little pink bunny slippers that she tapped on the floor.

"Good morning, Athena. Did you sleep well?" Ben asks. Athena pushed her hair out of her face and nods.

"Yeah, but Arlo woke me up and so I woke up mama to tell her Arlo woke me up. He does that sometimes. He has his own door so he can leave and come back anytime but he always wakes up early to run around. Sometimes me and Mama wake up early to watch the sunrise and Arlo can run away..." Athena ranted on and Ben listened happily. This seemed so normal with Athena being able to talk to him. It was as if she forgot everything that happened the night of the disastrous dinner. As if she forgot she told him she hated him.

It still strung to remember and be able hear how Athena exclaimed that she HATES him. It was not his proudest moment to spring that piece of information onto his little girl. He wasn't think then, he let the opinions of others and unnecessary comments cloud his thoughts. They blinded him full, but he could not blame others for his own actions. No. That was something he was going to have to own up to.

"...Mama told me to ask you that if you wanted pancakes." Athena's voice broke him out of his deep thoughts. Ben smiles and nods.

"Why don't we go help her?" Ben leans down closer to whisper. "We can even sneak in some chocolate chips into the batter."

Athena giggles uncontrollably at the idea and nods enthusiastically. She held her arms up and it took Ben by surprise. She wanted him to pick her up and carry her. Ben gladly picked her up and lead the way to the kitchen.

In the kitchen, Serena was already there mixing a bowl of what looked like pancake batter. She looked up when Ben and Athena came in and smiled.

"Mama can I have chocolate chips with mine? Please please please please-"

"Alright! Alright." Serena gave in with a giggle. Athena claps in success before hoping down from the stool and running towards the door.

"I'm going to feed the duckies!" She announced and ran out the door with a slam behind her.

"She's a handful, huh?"

"Spoiled too, but it's hard not to." Serena admits. "My dad can't resist getting her a new doll every day. My mom tends to have better control of her impulses buying.  Arlo was actually the latest gift from dad."

"He...knows your here?"

"Where do you think this cottage came from? Dad had it made as a birthday present for me—in case I ever wanted to get away with Athena for a while. He knew I would need some much needed space away from my mother. Just me and Athena. And you too. Think of this as a do over.  A way for Athena to get familiar with you without interference." Serena says as she pours a ladle-full of batter onto the hot pan, her back turn to Ben.

Ben stares at Serena and smiles. He stood up and walks around the counter. Serena looks up when she notices the figure next to her. Ben smiles down at her and takes the spatula.

"I think we're gonna have a good time together." Ben says with his charming smile. He flipped the pancake over. Serena let him to take over the cooking and sat down. She took a slip of her coffee, allowing herself to relax and listen to the sizzling and giggling coming from outside.

NOT EDITED.