An Outing With Heroes

"Hey bro, I've got some news!" I called in a sing-song tone as soon as I stepped through the doorway.

"Izumi, you have to be careful!" My brother led me to the couch so I could sit down. I rolled my eyes, a bit annoyed at his pestering. Ever since I got hurt, Kaito had been taking care of me. However, he was paranoid about every little thing I did, even going to the bathroom by myself.

"Kaito, I just got some cuts on my arms, I didn't lose my leg," I chuckled.

"I know, sorry, I just..." he trailed off, shaking his head a little.

"I love that you're taking care of me, and I know how much you worry. Just remember I'm 27 years old, not five."

"Sometimes I think you are because of the way you act," he chuckled, earning a kick to the shin.

"Anyway, as I was saying," I continued. "Guess who I met today?"

"Lady Gaga?" Kaito said jokingly.

"No, idiot, I actually met Eraserhead today," I smiled, "and we exchanged numbers."

"Ha, I don't believe that for one second," Kaito threw a pillow at me. I caught it and glared at him.

"I'm serious, Kai. I'll prove it to you." I pulled out my phone and looked through my contacts, smiling when I saw Shota's number. "See? That's him." Kaito snatched my phone from me and stared at it for a long time. Finally, realization dawned on him.

"Woah, I can't believe a pro hero gave you his number," he suddenly smirked at me. "He must really like you."

"It's nothing like that and you know it!" I scoffed and playfully shoved him.

"But seriously, why would he give you his number? No offense, but you're just a civilian."

"I ran into him while getting my coffee and I thanked again for saving me," I smiled at the memory. "Then we walked in the park and got to know each other a little better. When you texted me, we exchanged numbers and the rest is history."

"Ooo, sounds like someone has a crush," Kaito chuckled.

"Ugh, I do not! I just still can't believe Eraserhead of all people would give me his number!" Being friends with a literal superhero sounded very cool to me. I would definitely be bragging about this to my friends. Then a thought occurred to me. He probably didn't want too many people knowing I was friends with him. It would cause too much unwanted attention. "But you can't tell this to your friends. Some heroes want their personal lives to be kept a secret you know."

"Don't worry, I'm smarter than that," Kaito puffed out his chest. I gently kicked his leg and laughed.

"Yeah right!" Days went by before I was finally allowed to take the bandages off. When I got home that evening, I walked into my studio, inspiration hitting me. I picked out the colors I wanted and picked up my paintbrush. It had been so long since I had painted, so it felt nice to hold something familiar. Before I could get to it, though, my phone buzzed. I sighed and opened the text, surprised that it was from Shota.

Hey, I'm sorry I didn't contact you earlier. Would you like to hang out with me and a couple other pro heroes this Saturday? I read and reread the text. Me, a civilian with no quirk, hanging out with the Eraserhead and other pro heroes? This felt like a huge honor, and I did not want to miss my chance.

It's ok, I know the life of a pro hero is busy. I would love to hang out! What time?

How about I pick you up at 6?

Sounds great to me, I'm already excited!

Great, see you then. I clutched my phone to my chest and let out a happy squeal. Wait, was this a date? I stopped in my tracks and sat down. No, we barely knew each other. Besides, a pro hero wouldn't want to date someone with no quirk. That was impossible. I shook myself out of my thoughts and focused on my new painting. I zoned out as my brush swished across the canvas. I didn't even realize what I was making until it was finished. I let out a chuckle as I saw Shota on the canvas, dressed in his costume and using his scarf to fly through the air.