A Hero's Sacrifice

I tried to keep the tears at bay as I stepped through the hospital's doors. I ran up to the receptionist, the tears starting to flow freely down my cheeks. "Ma'am, please tell me where Shota Aizawa's room is," I pleaded. The woman looked at me with pity. "I'm a good friend of his, my name is Okazaki Izumi." Before I could answer all the questions, Nemuri gently gripped my arm.

"It's okay, ma'am, she's with us." She then quickly led me down the hallway. "You came just in time, they were about to prepare him for surgery. Just to warn you, he doesn't look good." Nemuri patted my shoulder and left me alone with the injured hero. I choked on a sob as I spotted Shota laid out on the hospital bed. He was dressed in a hospital gown, his hair tangled and pooled around his head. I grabbed a chair and sat down next to the bed. I wiped at my eyes and gingerly grabbed his hand. Blood was smeared across his face and arm, but I couldn't tear my gaze away from it.

From what I heard on the radio, he had fought so hard for his students. "I'm so proud of you, Sho," I whispered. "I just wish you hadn't hurt yourself." I sniffed, trying to get a hold of my sobs. Being just a mere civilian, I had never experienced this first-hand. Yes, I had gotten attacked by a villain, but I never saw what happened when a hero got hurt. It was especially worse when that hero was my friend. "You'll get better," I rubbed my thumb over his knuckles. "I'm going to spoil you rotten when the doctors fix you." I had no idea if he could hear me, but talking to him like normal calmed my nerves.

"You'll never guess what happened to me today," I smiled shakily. "I sold all my paintings, and I got offered a job. I wish you could've been there." I sniffed again, my emotions getting the better of me. I leaned up and carefully gave him a kiss on the forehead, like he did to me a few days ago.

"Izumi," Hizashi called softly from the door, "the doctors need him for surgery now." I nodded and looked at Shota one more time.

"Please get better," I whispered before planting a kiss on his cheek. Once I stepped out of the room, Hizashi pulled me into his side, while Nemuri was on my other.

"He'll be okay," Nemuri said aloud, as if reassuring herself as well. The next few hours were spent in the waiting room. I called my brother to let him know what was going on, even though he had only met Shota one time. My anxiety was through the roof. I did everything I could think of to try and get rid of my nervous energy. I bit my nails, fiddled with my fingers, bounced my leg, paced around the room, I did it all.

It seemed like forever before the doctor told us how it went. Apparently he had several fractures in his face, a broken elbow, and more fractures along his arm. Unfortunately, his orbital floor had been crushed, which meant his quirk could only be activated for so long before he had to close his eyes. I didn't know how Shota would take the news. He was still asleep and wrapped up like a mummy when we went in to see him, but I was the only one who could stay until he woke up.

"Nezu wants all the teachers who were uninjured to report back to the school grounds," Hizashi frowned. "I would rather stay here, but he was pretty adamant."

"Call us if there's any changes, okay?" Nemuri pulled me into a hug, which Hizashi joined as well.

"I will, and when he wakes up, I'll make sure to let you know." When they left, I settled into a chair near Shota's bed and tried to distract myself with my favorite tv show. However, I couldn't get comfortable. My mind kept telling me terrible things, like how Shota wouldn't make it, or he wouldn't be able to do hero work anymore.

"Izumi?" a muffled, groggy voice called out. I quickly sent a text to my two friends before hurrying to his bedside.

"Hey, Sho," I held back tears. I softly laid a hand on his bandaged arm.

"Where am I?"

"You're in the hospital," my voice trembled. "You were in critical condition when you got here. You scared us to death, you know."

"Sorry," there was a bit of humor in his voice. I couldn't understand how he could find this funny, but I didn't comment on it.

"You have a lot of fractures in your face and arm," I said softly. "Your elbow is broken and your orbital wall was crushed. The doctor said you can't activate your quirk as long as you used to because of it." I wanted to see his expression, but the bandages were covering his face.

"Well, that's inconvenient," he managed to get out. I knew it bothered him more than he let on, though.

"On another note," I wanted to distract him with some good news. "I sold all my paintings today."

"You did?" his voice said he was smiling. "I'm so proud of you, Iz. I knew everyone would love your art. I just wish I had been there to buy one for myself." I blushed at the nickname, glad that he couldn't see my face at the moment.

"There's no need to be sorry. I wish you wouldn't have gotten hurt," I twisted the blanket between my fingers. "When I got the call that you were hurt, I feared the worst," my voice began to get shaky again. "I thought that you were..." I trailed off, unable to hold back tears any longer. I felt Shota fidget, and I looked at him. He was trying to move his arm, which I knew he wasn't supposed to do. "Shota, don't move your arm, you could injure it further."

"Izumi, I'm sorry for worrying you," he said. "But I'm okay now, despite the bandages."

"I know, I should stop worrying. You are a hero after all, and heroes get hurt," I sniffed, my sobs finally calming down. I placed my hand in his bandaged one, feeling his fingers twitch a little. The doctor suddenly came in with a clipboard in his hand, nodding to me as he sat down next to the bed.

"Aizawa, I see that you're doing much better than the last time we saw you," the doctor started. "I wanted to discuss your treatment out of the hospital. I'm going to release you in just a few days, but you are to stay in your apartment until your next visit. I will also recommend you have one of your friends help you around the house."

"Really, sir, I'm fine on my own," Shota grumbled.

"Sorry, but these are my orders for you. You won't get better unless you rest."

"Sir, if I may," I spoke up. "I can help Aizawa treat his wounds. I can also help him around the house."

"Well, it looks like we've found you a volunteer," the doctor smiled. Before he left, he gave me a list of instructions and two bottles of pills.

"You didn't have to do that, you know," Shota said.

"I know, but you help people all the time. I wanted to be the one to help you this time," I smiled at him. The next few days were hard. I balanced going to work and visiting Shota at the hospital. I called Daiki to let him know of the situation, to which he replied that I could take as long as I needed before coming to a decision. Shota kept telling me that I didn't have to visit him every day, but I refused to leave him alone.

That man did not want to stay still for long. He had tried to leave his bed multiple times, which stressed the nurses out. All he wanted was to go back home, or move around. Luckily, he was released from the hospital fairly quickly. The doctor, again, told me the instructions for his wounds, and then sent me off. "Now Shota," I began as we were walking to my car, "I know you're antsy, but you really have to rest. You have to follow the doctor's orders, including mine."

"Yes, mom," he said teasingly.

"Oh come on, Shota, I'm only looking out for you." Shota chuckled and brushed his bandaged hand against mine.

"I know, and I appreciate it." As soon as we got to his apartment, I had him lay on the couch. I set the pills, ointment, and instructions on the counter in the kitchen and sighed. I was determined to help Shota get better, even if it meant sacrificing my job. The last thing I wanted was for him to get injured because of me. This was going to be a challenge, but it wasn't anything I couldn't handle. With newfound confidence, I sat down on the couch next to him.

"So, wanna watch a movie?"